1. Endocrine SystemPresentation by: Jeremy Krautstrunk Biology 120 Chapter 11 Professor Abdullah
2. Suffixes Included in Endocrine System ● -crine : to secrete ● -tropine : stimulate
3. The Suffix -crine in the Endocrine System● The suffix -crine is has a siginificant presence in the Endocrine System, even in the name.● Defined as “to secrete”, it is involved many of the parts of the Endocrine System. This is because one of the most important responsibilities of the Endocrine System is to secrete various hormones throughout the body
5. Functions of Secreting Hormones● The secretion of hormones throughout the body is essential to regulating and maintaining the human body.● Functions of Hormones: – Regulate menstrual cycle and aid in pregnancy (estrogen) – Maintain steroid hormones from the adrenal cortex – Regulate the insulin and glucagon given off by the pancreas
6. The suffix -tropin in the Endocrine System● Defined as “to stimulate”● The suffix -tropin also has an important role in the Endocrine System. It is also related to the previous suffix “-crine” in this chapter.● When the organs secrete (-crine) hormones into the body, it stimulates (-tropin) different actions.
7. Stimulating Organs● After organs secrete hormones, other organs can be stimulated to maintain homeostasis (a stable internal environment)● Examples: – Islet cells secrete glucagon which stimulates the liver to release glucose – The ovaries produce estrogen and progesterone which regulate the menstrual cycle and maintain a suitable uterine environment for preganancy
8. Summary and Importance to Body● The Endocrine System produces and secretes hormones that regulate the activity of cells or organs● This allows for regulation of the bodys growth, metabolism, sexual development and function, water and mineral balance, and immune system reactions