• There is a cycle to things
• We are born, live and die
• The bible mentions many
parables about this cycle
• What fruit are we going to bear?
I tell you the truth, unless a kernel
of wheat falls to the ground and
dies, it remains only a single seed.
But if it dies, it produces many
seeds. The man who loves his life
will lose it, while the man who
hates his life in this world will
keep it for eternal life.
– John 12:24-25
• My teacher, mentor and inspiration
• He cared deeply, told you what he felt
and wasn’t afraid to call you a bobo
• Don’t be sad that they are gone,
be glad that you have known them
• Had a huge impact with thousands
• What Would Dave Beck Do?
For whoever wants to save his life will lose it,
but whoever loses his life for me and
for the gospel will save it.
• Forest ﬁres are a great destructive force
• In Yellowstone, I witnessed acres of ﬁres
• Rests on a caldera the size of Rhode Island
• The earth is constantly changing there
• Fires are necessary for life to ﬂourish
• We are called to decrease
• We are called to die to ourselves
• We are called to die to this world
• We are to put to death our sinful nature
• We are to be cruciﬁed with Jesus Christ
Put to death, therefore,
whatever belongs to your
earthly nature: sexual immorality,
impurity, lust, evil desires and
greed, which is idolatry.
You must rid yourselves of all
such things as these: anger, rage,
malice, slander, and ﬁlthy language
from your lips.
Colossians 3:5, 8
• There is a pine tree called a Jack Pine
• New can only live when old is burnt
• The only open under extreme heat
• The seed only fertilize in ash soil
• Rare species of bird called “Kirtland's
Warbler” will only roost under new trees
• Lacey was born poor to a single mom of six
• Moved around and had very rough childhood
• Started doing drugs at age 10
• Was heavily addicted by age 13
• Her home was like “walking into a warzone”
• Left and moved in with her grandparents
• Became depressed, only seeing emptiness
• Became an outspoken atheist
• Had a nervous breakdown at age 16
• Cut off her hair and decided to kill herself
• Her grandma yelled at her to go to church
• Finally went to church one Sunday
• The pastor talked about her life
• He said “there was a suicidal spirit” here
• She still decided to kill herself that day
• A deacon stopped her at the door...
“ Imy attention because but this really did catch
never knew my dad,
this man at the church
didn’t know me!
And the more he kept saying about pain, the
more my heart broke into a million pieces.
Finally when I was more desperate than I’d
ever been, he asked if I wanted to pray, and I
I had my head in my hands, and he prayed for
God’s peace to come over me. Jesus saved
me, and it was the most awesome freedom
I’ve ever known.
• Lacey’s life turned around completely
• Started a new band named Flyleaf
• She has found her life’s purpose
• She has been fulﬁlled
• She hopes her music will help other’s
to ﬁnd the Jesus who saved her
Since, then, you have been raised
with Christ, set your hearts on
things above, where Christ is
seated at the right hand of God.
Set your minds on things above,
not on earthly things.
For you died, and your life is now
hidden with Christ in God.
When Christ, who is your life,
appears, then you also will appear
with him in glory.
The Son of Man must be lifted up,
that everyone who believes in him
may have eternal life.
For God so loved the world that
he gave his one and only Son,
that whoever believes in him shall
not perish but have eternal life.