As a blended learner you gain access to the
best of both the face-to-face classroom as
well as the distance learning environment;
this access to instructor guided
presentations, digital course materials, and
web 2.0 collaboration technologies have
been proved to enhance learner retention
(Amaral & Shank, 2010).
• To play the annotation click the speaker
icon in the upper right of the screen.
• The online section of your course
leverages Blackboard CourseSites as the
CMS and many other technologies are
utilized through the course.
• Lynda.com and YouTube.com provide
great tutorials that review the “how-tos”
of various software applications in detail.
• It is highly recommend you familiarize
yourself with these websites due to the
quantity of technological resources found
in this course.
Tips for Success as a Distance Learner
• Have access to the proper
hardware and software before the
• Battle procrastination; do
• Make time to do the work!
• Carefully read the course material.
• Complete all tutorials with the texts.
• Complete any assignments in a
neat and orderly manner. Keep
copies of all materials submitted for
(Lehigh Carbon Community College, 2013, para. 2).
Web 2.0 Technology Resources
• Demonstration of knowledge of key
• Community building
• Consensus building
• Critical thinking
• Student leadership
(TeacherStream LLC., 2009, p. 3)
• The cloud computing resources
allow you to take notes and
transfer files to any of your
devices with the click of a button.
• The blended learning
environment is designed to
provide access to course
materials before your face-to-
face classroom sessions; by
leveraging cloud-based services
you are able to take your course
materials and notes with you
anywhere you go (Amaral &
• As you continue to grow and
expand your knowledge you may
need to search for additional
• The online section of the course
highlights a few websites to
assist you during your gem and
jewelry related research and with
writing your projects,
assignments, and blog posts.
• The instructional staff is excited to start the semester and welcome you
to the wonderful world of gemology; by incorporating Keegan’s (in
Simonson et al., 2012) equivalency theory and Bandura’s (in Learning-
Theories.com, 2013) social learning theory we have planned and
developed a blended learning environment that will provide the benefits
both face-to-face and distance learning.
• The course is designed for you to interact with your peers, instructional
staff, and course material on a deeper level in order to prepare yourself
for lectures, assignments, and projects (Amaral & Shank, 2010).
(Cartersville First Baptist Church, n.d.)
• Administrator_cc6. (Photographer). (2013). Cloud Computing Datatrend. [Digital Image].
Retrieved from http://compucorps.org/wp-system/uploads/2013/08/cloud-computing-
• Amaral, K. E. & Shank, J. D. (2010). Enhancing Student Learning and Retention with
Blended Learning Class Guides. Educause Review Online. Retrieved from
• Bowcutt, H. (Photographer). (2013). Playing By the Rules Netiquette. [Digital Image].
Retrieved from http://blog.kidsemail.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Playing-By-the-Rules-
• Byuicurdev. (2012, June 12). Discussion Board Netiquette [Video file]. Retrieved from
• Cartersville First Baptist Church. (Photographer). (n.d.). Next Steps. [Digital Image].
Retrieved from http://www.cartersvillefirst.com/Portals/0/next-steps.jpg
• Forsythe, G. (Photographer). (2012). Blended Learning Panel. [Digital Image]. Retrieved from
• Learning-Theories.com. (2013). Social Learning Theory (Bandura). Retrieved from
• Lehigh Carbon Community College. (2013).How to Succeed - Tips for Success as a Distance
Learning Student. Retrieved from http://lccc.edu/academics/distance-education/how-
• Lynda.com. (2012, February 3). Anyone can learn it | Lynda.com. [Video file]. Retrieved from
• QuinStreet Inc. (2013). Netiquette. Webopedia. Retrieved from
• TeacherStream LLC. (2009). Mastering Online Discussion Board Facilitation. Edutopia.
Retrieved from http://www.edutopia.org/pdfs/stw/edutopia-onlinelearning-mastering-online-
• Weldon, R. (Photographer). (2013). More is More: Jewelry of Duquette & Wilkinson. [Digital
Image]. Retrieved from