2. Photosynthesis  Certain cells can generate their own food (autotrophic)  Specialized plant cells, some bacteria, and some protists.  Chlorophyll (chemical)  Chloroplast (organelle)
3. Photosynthesis (cont.)  Chlorophyll is responsible for capturing light energy so that a cell can generate food for itself.  Glucose is the “plant food” that is produced.
4. Process of PhotosynthesisReactants Products1. Carbon Dioxide 1. Glucose2. Water 2. Oxygen3. Sunlight
5. Heterotrophic vs. Autotrophic Cellsthat don’t have chlorophyll, cannot make their own food (heterotrophic). Heterotrophs and autotrophs are dependent on each other. How?
6. Respiration  Both heterotrophic and autotrophic organisms  Plants and Animals  Mitochondria  Use of oxygen and carbohydrates to create energy (ATP)
7. Process of RespirationReactants Products1. Glucose 1. Carbon Dioxide2. Oxygen 2. Water 3. ATP (energy)Glucose + Oxygen  Carbon Dioxide + Water + ATP (energy)