1. The Joy of the Lord is Your StrengthNehemiah 8:9-18 Maud church of Christ by Jim Bradshaw Sunday Evening, March 10, 2013
2. The Joy of the Lord is Your Strength Christians should have Joy; Hebrew 12:2 2Co 12:9-10 NKJV And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (10) Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christs sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
3. The Joy of the Lord is Your Strength 1. When the Jews heard the word of the Lord, they wept, why? 2. Sins of Omission a) What is sin? b) 1Jn 3:4 NKJV Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. c) Jas 4:17 NKJV Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin. d) John 14:15 3. A Hearing of Faith a) Our faith grows from hearing the word; Romans 10:14-17 b) A hearing of faith produces obedience; Mark 16:15-16
4. The Joy of the Lord is Your Strength1. God’s Joy should strengthen us a) HIS expectation of good will happen!!! b) Heb 6:17-19 NKJV Thus God, determining to show more abundantly to the heirs of promise the immutability of His counsel, confirmed it by an oath, (18) that by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we might have strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold of the hope set before us. (19) This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which enters the Presence behind the veil,2. We need the strength of God a) Luk 1:37 NKJV For with God nothing will be impossible." b) Philippians 4:133. No sadness when we receive God’s Joy; Philippians 4:4-8
5. The Joy of the Lord is Your Strength Finding What is written in the Law1. To Understand God’s word a) Neh 8:13 NKJV Now on the second day the heads of the fathers houses of all the people, with the priests and Levites, were gathered to Ezra the scribe, in order to understand the words of the Law. b) 2 Timothy 2:15-172. The Jews did according to Neh. 8:15, “As it is written.” a) Matthew 7:21-23 b) Jas 1:25 NKJV But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.
6. The Joy of the Lord is Your Strength Finding What is written in the Law1. Reading and Studying Everyday; a) Neh 8:18 NKJV Also day by day, from the first day until the last day, he read from the Book of the Law of God. And they kept the feast seven days; and on the eighth day there was a sacred assembly, according to the prescribed manner. b) Act 17:11 NKJV These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so. c) 2 Timothy 2:15-16
7. The Joy of the Lord is Your Strength Have You done what God’s Word Says?