promotion begins months ahead of time, not the day of… thousands of pages of information already exist… customers spread word of mouth through digital channels… result: sold out event before even getting to town
“ the internet is for kids and geeks, and our consumers will never be online.” - Unnamed 1990’s executive
Visitors to MySpace.com and Friendster.com generally skew older, with people age 25 and older comprising 68 and 71 percent of their user bases, respectively.
More than one-third (34 percent) of visitors to Facebook.com are 18-24 years old, approximately three times the representation of that age segment in the general Internet population. Guess who make up the other 66% or so???
41% of baby boomers have visited social networks, and in the past three months boomers stopped at these sites an average of eight times.
Dismissing Social Media as being irrelevant to a brand with an older customer base is dangerous. Social Media is already seeing a broadening of its user demographics, and as occurred with the Internet a decade ago, this trend will continue. Not every demographic will engage Social Media in the same way, but in the years to come every demographic will engage Social Media in some way! http://www.experiencetheblog.com/2008/09/social-media-demographics-to-broaden.html