The basics of WordPress, what is the difference between wordpress.com and wordpress.org Facts about WordPress. What you need to build a WordPress site. Lead up to a live demonstration of installing
The basics of WordPress, what is the difference between wordpress.com and wordpress.org Facts about WordPress. What you need to build a WordPress site. Lead up to a live demonstration of installing WordPress
What is Wordpress?
WordPress is a free and open source blogging tool and a content-
management system based on PHP and MySQL, which runs on a web
hosting service. Features include a plug-in architecture and a template
system. WordPress is used by more than 18.9% of the top 10 million
websites as of August 2013. ...
It was first released on May 27, 2003, by founders Matt Mullenweg and
Mike Little as a fork of b2/cafelog
• Over 21% of all websites run on WordPress
• More than 19,000 WordPress plugins are available
• WordPress is one of the most requested skills in the world
• 100’s of WordPress volunteer developers work for the WordPress
Foundation every day
• WordPress has been translated to over 70 languages
• WordPress.com runs the multisite version, and estimated 32M active sites
on that single install
• WordPress will save the world!
Why use WordPress?
• Supple – it’s not just a blog, enterprise websites, government,
online communitites, forums, small business, e-commerce.
• Search Engine Optimized – Sound compliant framework that Google likes
with many available SEO plugins, W3C compliant
• Content Management – the ability for the end user to edit and
update content on their own.
• Social – built in commenting as well as thousands of social media
plugins to add sharing and integration with virtually any social media
• Community and Support – Wordpress Meetups! Many community
sites, tutorials, YouTube, you can find help on literally every corner.
There’s more than one WordPress, well Sorta…..
• Run by a company called Automattic
• A VERY large multisite install of Wordpress
• Freemium model – they make money by selling upgrades and services
• A community of volunteer developers working on the open source
• You can download a copy of WordPress from Wordpress.org and install it
on the hosting site of your choice
Premium hosting, security, and
backups and upgrades are
Obtain your own hosting, plugins
for security and backups
No plugins, limited to functions
that WordPress.com makes
Over 19.000 plugins to add
virtually any function you can
imagine without coding
Abide by TOS which includes the
right to show ads on your site
You are in control
Limited themes,280+ premium Unlimited themes
Cannot remove WordPress.com
copyright and they have royalty-
free access to your data
No e-commerce – shopping cart Many choices for e-commerce
So you’re convinced to host and build
your own WordPress site!
You will need:
• A Computer
• Internet Access
• A Web Browser
• Register a domain name
• Godaddy, Namecheap, name.com, Gandi.net, 1&1,
iWantMyName, Hover, DreamHost, Domain Monster, NameSilo
• You do Not have to register your domain and host your website in
the same place but most registrars also offer hosting
• Web Hosting
• iPage, bluehost, 1&1, HostGator, GoDaddy, hostmonster,
FatCow, InMotion, DreamHost
• WordPress Optimized Hosting
• Synthesis, WP Engine, pagely, MediaTemple, KahunaHost,
It only takes 5 minutes to install
Live demonstration of WordPress
Find Jim Grant