1. Spain’s colonization in America<br />Topics of Discussion:<br />Fighting for Florida<br />New Mexico<br />The Pueblo Revolt<br />The Spanish Return<br />
2. Fighting for Florida<br />New Spain stretched from<br />South America to Mexico. <br />Leaders decided to move North and East to expand their colony.<br />
3. Fighting for Florida<br />At daybreak I <br /> shall board <br /> your ship!<br />Pedro Menendez de Aviles was a Spanish leader who led a small fleet of warships to FL.<br />The French had already started building settlement in Florida.<br />In a series of bloody battles<br />Menendez and his troops<br /> defeated the French and founded St. Augustine in 1565. <br />
4. Don Juan de Onate led a small <br />Spanish army north across the Rio Grande and founded Santa Fe, New Mexico in 1610.<br />The Spanish hoped to find gold and silver in New Mexico.<br />Instead they found hot and dry land that was not good for farming<br />They completely dismissed the fact that somebody was there before them, such as:<br />
5. The Pueblo People<br /><ul><li>The Pueblos worked and lived on haciendas ( self- sufficient communities) or large estates.
6. The Spanish turned most of the Pueblo people into slaves forcing them to work for them riding them to Mexico City on the El Camino Real.
7. The Spanish leaders were also forcing the Pueblo people to give up their beliefs and everyday life. In turn they were to adopt the Christianity and adopt the Spaniards way of life.</li></li></ul><li>The Pueblo Revolt<br />Pope’ ( Po-Pay) led the Pueblos in a<br /> revolt against the Spanish for enslaving <br />the pueblos.<br />A pueblo leader named Juan rode into Mexico City with two crosses, one white and one red and said this the Spanish governor “If you choose the white there will be no war but you must leave the country. If you choose the red, you must all die, for we are many and you are few.” That day in 1680 the Spanish were run out of New Mexico. <br />
8. The Spanish Return<br />By the early 1690’s Pope’ had died<br />Spanish recaptured New Mexico because the Pueblos were not as united as before.<br />The Spanish proceeded to colonize new land but proceeded with caution out of fear of being driven out by the Pueblos again or the French<br />San Antonio, Texas was founded in 1718 by the Spanish.<br />
9. Review<br />Who led a Spanish fleet on the coast of Florida, defeated the French, and founded St. Augustine, Florida in 1565?<br />What were Spanish explorers looking for in New Mexico? What did they find instead?<br />What happened to the Pueblos after the Spanish arrived in New Mexico.<br />Who led the Pueblo Revolt in 1680?<br />Answer: Pedro Menendez de Aviles <br />Answer: Gold and Silver. Hot and dry land that would not easily grow crops. <br />Answer :Their were enslaved and were forced to become Christians.<br />Answer:<br />Pope’<br />
10. Questions or Comments<br />If there are no questions or comments please open your books to page 237 and read about <br />Junipero Serra 1713-1784<br />Answer the question under Learn from the Biographies. <br />