Types of Time
• BOSS – imposed time
• System – imposed time
• Self – imposed time
Boss - imposed time
• Time we spend in doing things, we would not be
doing if we did not have bosses.
• Golden Rule of Management
“Those who have the GOLD make the RULES”
• Always do what your boss wants
– If you don’t like what your boss wants, change what
your boss wants, but always do what your boss wants!
– If you always agree with your boss, one of you is not
Boss – imposed time
• Loyal opposition
– when you try to convince your boss to accept
some better alternatives; but failing that, always
wholeheartedly do what he or she wants.
• Satisfying your boss takes time, but failing to
invest sufficient time to satisfy the boss will
result in more and more boss imposed time.
• We neglect doing these things at our peril.
System – imposed time
• Time we spend with on other than our bosses
and our own staffs, demands that are part of
• It includes completion of administrative forms,
meetings, phone calls you must handle etc
• Organization system work in mysterious ways.
Make sure you are friends with people in each
department or at least know someone who is
willing to help you.
• Spend some time knowing people who run admin
/ organizational systems
Self – imposed time
• Time we spend in doing things we decided to
• This is the most important time. It is the only
time we have discretion to express our own
individuality within an organization.
• It is only with the self imposed time we make
our own unique contribution to an
Self – imposed time
• It comes in two categories
– Discretionary time
– Subordinate imposed time
• Discretionary is the most vital time of all, it is,
unfortunately, the first to disappear when pressure is
• Don’t comply with bosses’ wishes – guilty of
• Don’t comply with system’s requirement – guilty of
• If don’t keep your promises, when we picked
someone’s monkeys – guilty of procrastination
Self imposed time
• Swift and obvious penalties pursue those who
treat other people’s requirements in a light-
hearted, cavalier fashion!
• Start by subordinate imposed time!
– Ensure that you are not picking up someone’s monkey.
– Subordinates can not impose extra monkeys on you
without your cooperation, but bosses and peers will
do so if you ignore their requirements
• Organizational systems are rarely simple!
– Instead of criticizing and resenting the imperfect
system apply the following philosophy
“It is better to strike a straight blow with a crooked stick
than spending your whole life trying to straighten the
damn thing out”