CONTENT : GENERAL INFORMATION
• Status :- Complete
• Type :- Office, hotel, museum,
observation, parking garage, retail
• Location :-100 Century Avenue,
Pudong, Shanghai, China
• Construction started :- August27,
• Completed :- July17, 2008.
• Opening :- August 28, 2008.
Architectural 492.0 m
Tip 494.3 m
Roof 487.4 m
Top floor 474m
• No. of floor :- 101
• Floor area 381,600 m2
• Lifts/elevators :- 91
Owner :-Shanghai World Financial Center Co., Ltd.
Architect :- Kohn Pedersen Fox
Developer :- Mori Building Co.
Structural engineer :- Leslie E. Robertson
Main contractor :- China state construction
Engineering crop and shanghai construction
(group) general co.
• The most distinctive feature of the SWFC's design is
the trapezoid aperture at the peak.
• "Chinese mythology represents the earth with a
square and the sky with a circle.”
• It also resembled a Chinese Foreigners and Chinese
alike informally refer to the building as the bottle
• The tower features three separate observation decks.
Located on 94th , 97th ,and 100th floor
Plan form of building
• "Chinese mythology
represents the earth with a
square and the sky with a
• The building will be mixeduse, with a museum at the
base, a hotel at the top,
and office spaces in
between. Above the hotel
will be a visitor’s center,
while much of the area
below grade will house
• The tower's trapezoid aperture is made up of
structural steel and reinforced concrete.
• A large number of forces, such as wind loads, the
people in the building and heavy equipment housed
in the building, act on the SWFC's structure.
• These compressive and bending forces are carried
down to the ground by the diagonal-braced frame
(with added outrigger trusses).
• The design employs an effective use of material,
because it decreases the thickness of the outer core
shear walls and the weight of the structural steel in
the perimeter walls
• Exhibit Braces and
Outriggers are used to
stabilize and support
structures to ensure extra
• The Exhibit and Display
Braces are used to stabilize
or support a corner span of
truss that may need extra
• Whereas our Display Booth
Outriggers are an angled
piece of truss that slopes
back or in front of a vertical
upright / leg providing the
• This is an extraordinary building, one that will attract
the eye of all in Shanghai. Making use of a composite,
steel and concrete mega-structure
• While no two floors are identical, considerable
repetition is found in the concrete walls and steel
• In order to decrease the weight of the building, the
majority of that decrease had to be found in a
reduction of the thickness of the concrete shear walls
of the services core.
• This reduction could be achieved only by decreasing
the wind- and earthquake-induced lateral forces
Column of mega structure
• The columns of the megastructure are of mixed
structural steel and
• the steel column must be
of a size capable of fully
transferring the vertical
component of the load in
the diagonals to the
• The steel column only needs to be strong enough to
carry the construction load of the steelwork above.
• HOW TO MAKE BUILDING EARTHQUAKE
RESISTANCE :• Because of the unusual nature of the structural system,
considerable attention was given to resistance to the
• The structure is designed to remain in the elastic mode
throughout the life of the building.
AWARDS :• Shanghai World Financial Center was named by
architects as the best skyscraper completed in 2008,
receiving both the Best Tall Building Overall and Asia &
Australasia awards from the Council on Tall Buildings
and Urban Habitat (CTBUH).
• CTBUH's Carol Willis, head of New York's Skyscraper
Museum, stated: "The simplicity of its form as well as
its size dramatizes the idea of the skyscraper."
Architect Tim Johnson noted its innovative structural
design: "Steel trusses gird against the forces of wind
and earthquake and made the building lighter, made it
use less steel, and contributed to its sustainability." 19