1. CITY OF DANIA BEACHCITY OF DANIA BEACHEMERGENCYEMERGENCYPREPAREDNESS PLANPREPAREDNESS PLAN20132013Preparedness ThroughPreparedness ThroughKnowledge & TeamworkKnowledge & Teamwork
2. ANNUAL HURRICANE SEASONPREPAREDNESS REPORT:•COMPLY WITH 2004 DISASTERPREPAREDNESS RESOLUTION•DISCUSS CITY OF DANIA BEACH DISASTERPLANNING MEASURES•PROVIDE SHELTER INFORMATION•APPROVE COMPREHENSIVE EMERGENCYOPERATIONS PLAN & HURRICANE ANNEX
4. TEAM EFFORTTEAM EFFORT CITY STAFF & LEADERSHIPCITY STAFF & LEADERSHIP BROWARD SHERIFF’S OFFICE (DLE / FD)BROWARD SHERIFF’S OFFICE (DLE / FD) BROWARD EMERGENCYBROWARD EMERGENCYMANAGEMENT DIVISIONMANAGEMENT DIVISION AMERICAN RED CROSSAMERICAN RED CROSS VOLUNTEERS – CERT TEAM MEMBERSVOLUNTEERS – CERT TEAM MEMBERS COMMUNITY LEADERSCOMMUNITY LEADERS
5. EMERGENCY OPERATIONEMERGENCY OPERATIONCENTERSCENTERS“ EOC ““ EOC “EOC LOCATION:CITY HALLBSO DISTRICT 2WEST EOC CAPABLESTATION 93DANIA BEACH CITY HALL
6. Before the StormBefore the StormAre you ready….
7. Stay informedStay informed Tune in to radio andTune in to radio andtelevision broadcaststelevision broadcasts Be aware of approachingBe aware of approachingstormsstorms
8. Stock up on SuppliesStock up on SuppliesHope for 3 days ------Plan for 7Hope for 3 days ------Plan for 7Your kit should include water andfood items, along with batterypowered flashlights and radios.Be sure to include enoughmedical supplies and prescriptiondrugs to last two weeks.
9. PreparationsPreparations Protect your files and computers, by gatheringProtect your files and computers, by gatheringyour important papers and electrical equipment,your important papers and electrical equipment,and placing them in plastic bags or otherand placing them in plastic bags or otherwaterproof material.waterproof material.Make sure tounplug all electricalequipment!
10. PreparationsPreparations Shutters: assess, test,Shutters: assess, test,install, repair whereinstall, repair whereneededneeded Check hurricane supplyCheck hurricane supplystock and generator forstock and generator forfunctionalityfunctionality Bring inside any item thatBring inside any item thatmay be picked up by themay be picked up by thewind. These objectswind. These objectsbecome deadly missiles inbecome deadly missiles ina hurricane.a hurricane.
11. During the StormDuring the Storm Expect to lose power. Make sure you haveExpect to lose power. Make sure you haveflashlights within reach in your safe room,flashlights within reach in your safe room,generators have been checked, started, andgenerators have been checked, started, andmaintained, along with a planned generatormaintained, along with a planned generatoroperating location far enough away from anyoperating location far enough away from anyopenings in your home.openings in your home.
12. During the StormDuring the Storm Never ventureNever ventureoutside during theoutside during thestorm. Flying debrisstorm. Flying debrismay cause seriousmay cause seriousinjury or death.injury or death.
13. During the StormDuring the Storm Do not call 911 unless itDo not call 911 unless itis a real emergency!is a real emergency! Be aware that fire rescueBe aware that fire rescueand law enforcementand law enforcementresources may not beresources may not beable to respond duringable to respond duringthe storm or immediatelythe storm or immediatelypost storm.post storm.
14. After the StormAfter the Storm Beware of fallen powerBeware of fallen powerlines. While electricitylines. While electricitymay be out, service canmay be out, service canbe restored at any timebe restored at any timeand lines may becomeand lines may become“hot.”“hot.”
15. After the StormAfter the Storm Make sure that generators are never used insideMake sure that generators are never used insideor near home windows or doors (any opening toor near home windows or doors (any opening tothe house) as they produce dangerous carbonthe house) as they produce dangerous carbonmonoxidemonoxide
16. AMERICAN RED CROSS SHELTERSAMERICAN RED CROSS SHELTERSBROWARD COUNTY 2012BROWARD COUNTY 2012 1414 PRIMARY GENERAL SHELTERS THROUGHOUTPRIMARY GENERAL SHELTERS THROUGHOUTBROWARD COUNTYBROWARD COUNTY TRANSPORT TO SHELTERS “PARA-TRANSIT” 954-357-6385TRANSPORT TO SHELTERS “PARA-TRANSIT” 954-357-6385 LOCATIONS DETERMINED BY AMERICAN RED CROSSLOCATIONS DETERMINED BY AMERICAN RED CROSS SHELTERS MUST MEET SPECIFIC OPERATING CRITERIASHELTERS MUST MEET SPECIFIC OPERATING CRITERIA ALL ARE WEST OF EVACUATION ZONESALL ARE WEST OF EVACUATION ZONES 77 OF THEOF THE 1414 SHELTERS ARE SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 595SHELTERS ARE SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 595 CLOSEST SHELTER = PEMBROKE PARK, WATKINS ELEMENTARYCLOSEST SHELTER = PEMBROKE PARK, WATKINS ELEMENTARY3520 SW 52 AVENUE3520 SW 52 AVENUE ““SPECIAL NEEDS” SHELTERS REQUIRE PRE-REGISTRY 954-357-6385SPECIAL NEEDS” SHELTERS REQUIRE PRE-REGISTRY 954-357-6385 PHONE 211 FOR CRISIS COUNSELING AND SOCIAL SERVICE REFFERALPHONE 211 FOR CRISIS COUNSELING AND SOCIAL SERVICE REFFERAL
17. IMPORTANT 2013 HURRICANEIMPORTANT 2013 HURRICANECONTACT NUMBERSCONTACT NUMBERS Dania Beach EOC 24-Hour Contact Line (954) 924 – 6800Dania Beach EOC 24-Hour Contact Line (954) 924 – 6800 Backup EOC Line (954) 924-3734 / 3735Backup EOC Line (954) 924-3734 / 3735 Broward County Emergency Management (954) 831-3900Broward County Emergency Management (954) 831-3900 Special Needs Shelter Registry (954) 357-6385Special Needs Shelter Registry (954) 357-6385 Hearing Impaired Special Needs Registry 954-357-5608Hearing Impaired Special Needs Registry 954-357-5608 Hurricane Hotline During a Storm (954) 831- 4000Hurricane Hotline During a Storm (954) 831- 4000 Hurricane Hotline for the Hearing Impaired (954) 357-8302 [machine required]Hurricane Hotline for the Hearing Impaired (954) 357-8302 [machine required] Red Cross, South Florida Region (954) 797-3800Red Cross, South Florida Region (954) 797-3800 FP&L 1-800-4OUTAGE – 1-800-468-8243FP&L 1-800-4OUTAGE – 1-800-468-8243 BellSouth Repair 611 (Wireless) AT&T 800-331-0500 (wireless)BellSouth Repair 611 (Wireless) AT&T 800-331-0500 (wireless) Crisis Intervention, dial 211 ”First Call For Help” Counselor Referral ServicesCrisis Intervention, dial 211 ”First Call For Help” Counselor Referral Services
18. PET FRIENDLY SHLETERSPET FRIENDLY SHLETERS To Humane Society of Broward County, Ext 6To Humane Society of Broward County, Ext 6Hurricane Hot Line (954) 989–3977Hurricane Hot Line (954) 989–3977 Appointments to register in personAppointments to register in person For Evacuation Zone onlyFor Evacuation Zone only Located at Millennium Middle School TamaracLocated at Millennium Middle School Tamarac Need all proper animal recordsNeed all proper animal records Valid Proof of Residency in an evacuation zoneValid Proof of Residency in an evacuation zone Valid Proof of Rabies VaccineValid Proof of Rabies Vaccine Name, Address, and Phone Number of VeterinarianName, Address, and Phone Number of Veterinarian Photo for each pet that will stay with the applicationPhoto for each pet that will stay with the application
19. PLAN A Evacuation - Areas east of Intercoastal Waterway Typicallya Category 1-2 hurricanePLAN B Evacuation - Areas east of U.S. 1 (FederalHighway) Typically a Category 3 or higher hurricane
20. CITY OF DANIA BEACHCITY OF DANIA BEACHEMERGENCYEMERGENCYPREPAREDNESS PLANPREPAREDNESS PLAN20132013Preparedness ThroughPreparedness ThroughKnowledge & TeamworkKnowledge & Teamwork