1. CITY OF DANIA BEACH EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS PLAN 2012 Preparedness Through Knowledge & Teamwork
2. ANNUAL HURRICANE SEASON PREPAREDNESS REPORT:•COMPLY WITH 2004 DISASTERPREPAREDNESS RESOLUTION•DISCUSS CITY OF DANIA BEACHDISASTER PLANNING MEASURES•PROVIDE SHELTER INFORMATION•APPROVE COMPREHENSIVEEMERGENCY OPERATIONS PLAN &HURRICANE ANNEX
4. REMAINING VIGILANT
5. TEAM EFFORT CITY STAFF & LEADERSHIP BROWARD SHERIFF’S OFFICE BROWARD EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT DIVISION AMERICAN RED CROSS VOLUNTEERS – CERT TEAM MEMBERS COMMUNITY LEADERS
6. EMERGENCY OPERATION CENTERS “ EOC “ BSO DISTRICT 2 EOC LOCATION: WEST EOC CITY HALLDANIA BEACH CITY HALL CAPABLE STATION 93
7. Before the StormAre you ready….
8. Stay informed Tune in to radio and television broadcasts Be aware of approaching storms
9. Stock up on SuppliesHope for 3 days ------Plan for 7 Your kit should include water and food items, along with battery powered flashlights and radios. Be sure to include enough medical supplies and prescription drugs to last two weeks.
10. Preparations Protect your files and computers, by gathering your important papers and electrical equipment, and placing them in plastic bags or other waterproof material. Make sure to unplug all electrical equipment!
11. Preparations Shutters: assess, test, install, repair where needed Check hurricane supply stock and generator for functionality Bring inside any item that may be picked up by the wind. These objects become deadly missiles in a hurricane.
12. During the Storm Expect to lose power. Make sure you have flashlights within reach in your safe room, generators have been checked, started, and maintained, along with a planned generator operating location far enough away from any openings in your home.
13. During the Storm Never venture outside during the storm. Flying debris may cause serious injury or death.
14. During the Storm Do not call 911 unless it is a real emergency! Be aware that fire rescue and law enforcement resources may not be able to respond during the storm or immediately post storm.
15. After the Storm Beware of fallen power lines. While electricity may be out, service can be restored at any time and lines may become “hot.”
16. After the Storm Make sure that generators are never used inside or near home windows or doors (any opening to the house) as they produce dangerous carbon monoxide
17. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS… WHO SELECTS RED CROSS – Watkins Pembroke Park SHELTER SITES? 3520 SW 52nd Avenue, Pembroke Park DANIA BEACH RED CROSS AUTHORITY: UTILIZATION HISTORY, COSTS FOR HARDENING STRUCTURES, COASTAL DOES NOT HAVE FLOODING… IT’S OWN SHELTER? GENERAL INFORMATION MAIN CITY PHONE 954 - 924 - 6800 WHEN CITY EOC IS ACTIVATED: MAIN CITY NUMBER HOW DO WE ROLLS CALLS TO CITY EOC THROUGH A PHONE CONTACT THE PROMPT CITY DURING AN EMERGENCY? IF MAIN CITY NUMBER IS DOWN USE THE BACKUP 954-924-3734 /3735 (FAX) WHO INITIATES CITY MANAGER / MAYOR, DONE IN COORDINATION WITH BROWARD COUNTY EOC THE OPENING OF THE CITY EOC AND WHEN?
18. HURRICANE SEASON 2012 CRITICAL ISSUES P.I.O. ASSIGNED / EOC HOT LINES STAFFED PUBLIC WITH CERT TEAM MEMBERS INFORMATION CITY’S PUMP MOBILIZED GENERATORS FOR LIFT STATIONS STATION OPERATIONS WHEN NEEDED POWERING OUR EOC AUTO-STANDBY GENERATORS COORDINATION REPRESENTATIVES AT EACH EOC EVACUATIONS COORDINATED WITH BSO (FIRE/DLE) & BROWARD EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT FEMA FINANCE FORMS MANAGED THROUGH WEB-EOC DATA MANAGEMENT M.I.S. PERFORMS PROTECTION MEASURES AND BACKUPS TO SYSTEMS DISASTER RECOVERY DAMAGE ASSESSMENT BY BSO (DLE/FD), THEN SENT TO BROWARD EOC FOR PROCESSING
19. AMERICAN RED CROSS SHELTERS BROWARD COUNTY 2012 14 PRIMARY GENERAL SHELTERS THROUGHOUT BROWARD COUNTY TRANSPORT TO SHELTERS “PARA-TRANSIT” 954-357-6385 LOCATIONS DETERMINED BY AMERICAN RED CROSS SHELTERS MUST MEET SPECIFIC OPERATING CRITERIA ALL ARE WEST OF EVACUATION ZONES 7 OF THE 14 SHELTERS ARE SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 595 CLOSEST SHELTER = PEMBROKE PARK, WATKINS ELEMENTARY 3520 SW 52 AVENUE “SPECIAL NEEDS” SHELTERS REQUIRE PRE-REGISTRY 954-357-6385 PHONE 211 FOR CRISIS COUNSELING AND SOCIAL SERVICE REFFERAL
20. IMPORTANT 2012 HURRICANE CONTACT NUMBERS Dania Beach EOC 24-Hour Contact Line (954) 924 – 6800 Backup EOC Line (954) 924-3734 / 3735 Broward County Emergency Management (954) 831-3900 Special Needs Shelter Registry (954) 357-6385 Hearing Impaired Special Needs Registry 954-357-5608 Hurricane Hotline During a Storm (954) 831- 4000 Hurricane Hotline for the Hearing Impaired (954) 357-8302 [machine required] Red Cross, South Florida Region (954) 797-3800 FP&L 1-800-4OUTAGE – 1-800-468-8243 BellSouth Repair 611 (Wireless) AT&T 800-331-0500 (wireless) Crisis Intervention, dial 211 ”First Call For Help” Counselor Referral Services
21. PET FRIENDLY SHLETERS One pet-friendly shelter in Broward County To pre-register call Humane Society of Broward County, Ext 6 Hurricane Hot Line (954) 989–3977 For Evacuation Zone / Manufactured homes Located at Millennium Middle School Tamarac Need all proper animal records 300 people and 500 pets Cats, Dogs, Birds, Rabbits, but NO reptiles Suggested to bring their typical animal’s food
22. CITY OF DANIA BEACH EMERGENCYPREPAREDNESS PLAN 2012 Preparedness Through Knowledge & Teamwork