• Virus family – Rhabdoviridae
– single‐stranded RNA genomes http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/virus.html
– protein capsid is bullet‐shaped, enveloped
• Signs & symptoms: Headache, fever, agitaAon,
confusion, excessive salivaAon (foaming of the mouth),
hydrophobia (fear of water), hallucinaAons, death.
• Helical ribonucleoprotein core (RNP) and a surrounding
envelope of glycoprotein.
• No speciﬁc treatment, disease usually fatal, although
there are a series of shots to prevent virus from taking
– 100% fatal virus unless intervenAon is immediate
HepaAAs C virus
• Flaviviridae virus family
• Causes HepaAAs C, the symptoms are decreased appeAte,
faAgue, abdominal pain, jaundice, itching, and ﬂu‐like
symptoms. If serious condiAons go untreated, it could cause
• Treatment isn’t always necessary if not very serious but a
combinaAon of anAviral medicaAons will treat. If very serious
liver damage occurs, liver transplant may be necessary but
will not cure of HCV.
• The nucleic acid consists of single‐stranded RNA surrounded
by an polyhedral protein capsid.
• This virus has a lipid envelope
• Giardia lamblia is from the ProAst kingdom
• Giardia lamblia is pear‐shaped with 8
• It causes giardiasis.
– Symptoms are diarrhea, nausea, gas, and abdominal cramps
• People become infected by drinking water that is fecally
contaminated or from insuﬃcient hygeine (daycare workers
handling diapers from infected children)
• Some people may not show symptoms
• Giardiasis may go away on its own but is best treated with
medicine like metronidazole
• 2.5 million people in the US are infected each year