• Member of the Paramyxoviridae family
• This virus causes Mumps which is found worldwide
• Paramyxoviridare consists of an envelope, a nucleocapsid, and
a matrix protein
• The core contains a single molecule of linear, single-stranded
• Symptoms typically appear 16-18 days after infection and often include:
• Headaches • Tiredness
• Muscle aches • Loss of appetite
• Fever • Swollen/tender
• There is no real treatment for Mumps; analgesics can be
taken for pain, acetaminophen can be taken for inflammation,
and fluids should be kept up.
• Vaccinations account for the 99% drop in Mumps outbreaks news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/
in the United States. Two doses should be given, one at 12-15 4235453.stm
months and the other at 4-6 years of age.
• Major Virus Family is Inﬂuenza A, a
genus of the Orthomyxoviridae family of
Inﬂuenza, Symptoms include: fever, cough,
sore throat, runny or stuﬀy nose, headaches,
diarrhea, body aches. Some deaths have occurred.
– A live aIenuated H1N1 nasal spray is available.
– AnJ viral agent to reduce the eﬀects of the swine ﬂu are
Zanamivir and Oseltamivir
• Single‐stranded RNA in segments (like short, linear chromosomes),
polyhedral protein capsid, lipoprotein envelope
• Caliciviridae family
• Transmitted through fecally nerlcwww/graphics/
contaminated food or water
• Nausea, vomiting, watery diarrhea,
low-grade fever, cramps
• Oral fluid and electrolyte replacement
• Single-stranded RNA molecule in round to
hexagonal capsids that are 35-39 nm in diameter,
with icosahedral symmetry.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.