• Does the diagram given enough information to show that the
triangles are congruent? If so, state the postulate or theorem
you would use
5.4 Hypotenuse-Leg Congruence Theorem: HL
• Hypotenuse-Leg Congruence Theorem (HL)
– If the hypotenuse and a leg of a right triangle are
congruent to the hypotenuse and the leg of a
second right triangle, then the two triangles are
– If ABC and DEF are right triangles, and
AC = DF, and
BC = EF, then
ABC = DEF
Determine When to Use HL
• Is it possible to show that the two triangles are
congruent using the HL Congruence Theorem?
Explain your reasoning.
• The two triangles are right triangles. You know that
JH = JH (Hypotenuse). You know that JG = HK
(Leg). So, you can use the HL Congruence theorem
to prove that
JGH = HKJ.