Why brands won t bethe next Gangnam Style? by Jesús Melero @jesmelero innblastur.com
1 . 2 billion clicks on YouTube.A huge global success.Can brands aspire to get that effect?
If you are in the search for an extraordinary1. success, you wont find it. Gangnam Style is great, but sure, Psy wasnt obsessed to create a global hit in the beginning. If you start with a lot of pressure, you wont get something good. If your very first objective is to get 3.000 new fans, you should change your business. Start small, simple, easy, natural… Dont wait for the extraordinary, be extraordinary and the "likes" will come.
2. To Be completely new. Think about it; the horse move, the choreography, the sounds… They are really new, diﬀerent to the rest of the things you had seen. This is key for brands today. Dont be comfortable doing a repetition. Psy made a diﬀerence in the market and inspired new things to people. So your brand also should do that. And that is an alarm for planners. There is danger with references. Dont abuse of them and share new things and ideas with the creative and tech team.
3. To Be near the top. Psy had been near famous people that increase the eﬀect and drives up the success. Think about Hyuna, the lady that sings with Psy in the video. She is a famous Korean singer. Or maybe you have to remember the show with Madonna. Brands are afraid to be together other brands, other people. And you know: team work, better work.
4. To get a great success, you need great time. Gangnam Style was uploaded to YouTube 6 months ago and it still been played. I dont know about that obsession to change everything in a few weeks. To spread a big message, you need big time so, be generous with your media plan. People have to see it, think about it, like it, see it again, share it, love it, feel it, make part of their life. Please, give people some time; this is a lot of stuﬀ! Be coherent about all this time. Dont change your brand in a lot of diﬀerent ways. Think about Psys glasses and suits. Always the same, always feeding the icon.
5. People, usually, don`t like brands. Psy is a Korean pop singer, with a song full of color, lights and explosions. Who dont like that? Brands have to improve their storytelling, taking care of the details, and thinking more in the people they want to capture.
6. Don`t be scared about change. I think, one of the big success of the Gangnam Style has been the abality to move in a lot of diﬀerents environments and to be starring by a lot of diﬀerent people in a natural way, always maintaining the essence. Today brands are scared about that. They want to be in their own box, limiting the power of the message.
So now, it s time to work onthese points. It s time to be the next gangnam style. by Jesús Melero @jesmelero innblastur.com