1. Opportunities Price Wide variety of products Large concentration f.e. Guangdong province (Guangzhou)
2. Challenges Culture:
Behaviour / etiquette
2. Challenges Organising:
How / where to find?
Intellectual property rights
Advanced payments (T/T , L/C)
How to avoid failing quality?
How to control before shipment?
3. Preparation Who forgets to prepare, Prepares to be forgotten!
3. Preparation How / where to find Travelling around Ordering
How / where to find Internet: www.google.com www.made-in-china.com www.alibaba.com www.globalsources.com Fairs: f.e.Canton fair (Chinese) sourcer
Travelling around Make a schedule Stay flexible Flights can easily be booked at the airport Ask company to pick you up at hotel / airport When travelling by taxi ask hotel to write down the address in Chinese
Ordering Define the product as detailed as possible include measurements, toleration, etc. Add QC clause to PI or contract QC company: f.e. SGS Check payment terms: T/T – L/C Compare: FOB - EX WORKS - DTD Insurance?
Preparation An accurate preparation takes the burden of your shoulders
4. Tips & tricks Avoid Chinese holidays Stay flexible, max 2 appointments / day Have a good breakfast Accept business cards with both hands Put business cards in briefcase, not pocket Arrive early Do not discuss political or humanitarian issues Small talk before business Don’t bring gifts Prices in $ (exchange rate)
5. Conclusion Invest in “learning” to deal with the Chinese It takes quite some time (money) to understand the Chinese way of thinking
Doing business with China… Return on investmentisworth the pain