A Nation Repays Its Debt Civil War Cemetary

368 views
338 views

Published on

This is a ppt presentation made from the Nation Parks Service website about the Dayton Veterans Cemetary. This is designed for 8th grade U.S. History students.

Published in: Education
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
368
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
3
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

A Nation Repays Its Debt Civil War Cemetary

  1. 1. A Nation Repays Its Debt: The National Soldiers' Home and Cemetery in Dayton, Ohio
  2. 2. Describe what you see in the photo. What might be the reason for this particular layout?
  3. 3. <ul><li>More than 3.2 million soldiers are estimated to have served in the Civil War: 2.2 million Union soldiers and approximately 1 million Confederates. Of these, the death toll reached approximately 364,000 Union soldiers and 133,821 Confederate soldiers.¹ When the war ended, the graves of the nearly a half million Union and Confederate soldiers who died in action, or of wounds and disease lacked official recognition. Meanwhile, approximately 2.7 million veterans began to return home. </li></ul>
  4. 6. <ul><li>On July 17, 1862, President Abraham Lincoln signed legislation that created the National Cemetery system. By 1870, nearly 300,000 Union soldiers were interred in 73 national cemeteries, many of which were located on or near battlefields. At that time, approximately 58% of these soldiers' graves were of known soldiers and the remaining 42% more were marked as unknowns. </li></ul>
  5. 7. <ul><li>How many cemeteries were established in the first nine years after President Lincoln signed legislation creating the system? </li></ul>
  6. 8. <ul><li>Soldiers' Home cemeteries still provide their valuable service today, providing a final resting place for veterans. Approximately 800 burials are made annually, and the cemetery is slated to remain open to burials until 2018.5 The Veterans Administration (VA) assumed oversight of the cemetery in 1930. In 1973, it was granted National Cemetery status. Today it is operated by the National Cemetery Administration (NCA) of the VA. </li></ul>
  7. 9. <ul><li>Who manages the cemetery in Dayton today? When was it granted &quot;National Cemetery&quot; status? </li></ul>
  8. 10. Bivouac <ul><li>: a usually temporary encampment under little or no shelter </li></ul><ul><li>2 a: encampment usually for a night </li></ul><ul><li>b: a temporary or casual shelter or lodging </li></ul>
  9. 11. A Bivouac Fire
  10. 12. &quot;Bivouac of the Dead&quot; by Theodore O'Hara <ul><li>The muffled drum's sad roll has beat The soldier's last tattoo; No more on life's parade shall meet That brave and fallen few. On Fame's eternal camping-ground Their silent tents are spread, And Glory guards, with solemn round, The bivouac of the dead. </li></ul>
  11. 13. What IMAGRY do you see? <ul><li>On Fame's eternal camping-ground Their silent tents are spread, And Glory guards, with solemn round, The bivouac of the dead. </li></ul>
  12. 15. Stanza 2 <ul><li>No rumor of the foe's advance Now swells upon the wind; No troubled thought at midnight haunts Of loved ones left behind; No vision of the morrow's strife The warrior's dream alarms; No braying horn nor screaming fife At dawn shall call to arms. </li></ul>
  13. 16. <ul><li>Where is this stanza describing? </li></ul>
  14. 17. Stanza 11 <ul><li>Rest on, embalmed and sainted dead! Dear as the blood ye gave; No impious footstep shall here tread The herbage of your grave; Nor shall your glory be forgot While fame her records keeps, Or Honor points the hallowed spot Where Valor proudly sleeps. </li></ul>
  15. 18. <ul><li>Where does “valor proudly sleep”? </li></ul>
  16. 21. Dayton Soldiers Memorial
  17. 22. Detail of Dayton Soldiers Memorial
  18. 24. Honoring our Veterans <ul><li>This assignment is designed to give thanks to our veterans for their dedication to freedom and defending our country. </li></ul>
  19. 25. Memorial Day Traditional: May 30 Observed: last Monday of May
  20. 26. <ul><li>With Memorial Day coming up this is a perfect time for us as a class to honor our veterans and give them thanks. </li></ul><ul><li>There are many ways to give thanks; you may choose one of the following options to honor our veterans. </li></ul>
  21. 27. Think back to the poem &quot;Bivouac of the Dead&quot; by Theodore O'Hara; You may write a poem or song to honor them.
  22. 28. Think back to the photos of the memorial of the soldier. You may design a memorial.
  23. 30. Design, color and write a “Thank you” card to a veteran.
  24. 32. Write a letter to a veteran thanking him or her for their service.

×