View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
WHAT ISHAPPENING ALREADYand has been since July 2010
HTML5 DRUPALWORKING GROUP groups.drupal.org/html5 irc: #drupal-html5
THE GROUPS GOALS Use HTML5 today on Drupal 6 & 7 websites. Figure out best practices for Drupal + HTML5through real world experiences, sharing knowledge and building community consensus. HTML5ify Drupal 8.
TOOLS Implement HTML5 Forms Simplify the output of:$scripts, $styles, $submitted, etc. Add HTML5 Elements to the Filtered HTML input ﬁlter basically alter cores XHTML before its markup goes to the theme
HTML5 BASE Override core templates (node.tpl, page.tpl, block.tpl, comment.tpl,comment-wrapper.tpl, region.tpl, html.tpl, etc…) basically HTML5ify Stark
We are working inthe HTML5 Tools &HTML5 baseissue queuesand on g.d.o
Andrei Matteescu Mason WendellEric Duran Alan Burke (amateescu) (carnarymason) Lin Clark Dave Reid Je Burnz Tim Plunkett (jburnz) Alex Ross Theresa Summa Nathan Smith Jen Simmons (bleen) (theresaanna) Jack Aponte John Zavocki Forest Mars John Albin Wilkins (jackalope) (johnvsc) (johnalbin) Laura Scott Jared Ponchot Adrian Simmons (laura s) Matt Farina (jponch) (adrinux) (mfer) Stan Angelo Jen Lampton Paul Irish Jacine Luisi Tom Behets Divya Manian (betz) (medden) Pontus Nilsson (nimbupani) Mark Krug (devildogmrk) António Almeida John Roberts Wilson (jrwilson) Jody Hamilton (perusio) … AND MORE! (Jody Lynn)
IN CONTRIBGeolocation Tools Things made with CanvasVideo and Audio Websocket-based FeaturesImplementationBase Themes galore …everything else *core just has to stay out of the way
Pro HTML5ProgrammingPeter Lubbers,Brian Albers,and Frank Salimprohtml5.com
3. MAINTAIN EXISTING FUNCTIONALITYUse polyﬁlls when replacing existing functionality with an HTML5 implementation. Consider polyﬁlls for new functionality on a case-by-case basis, leaning towards simplicity.
4. PERFORM Slow performance is a problem.HTML5ifying Drupal cannot make Drupal slower.If fact, there are a lot of things about HTML5 that could make Drupal run faster. Lets do that.
5. BE ACCESSIBLE If a choice has to be made betweenthe recommendations of HTML5 spec authors and accessibility experts, choose the accessibility experts.
6. GET SEMANTIC Historically, getting Drupal to outputsemantic HTML has been a very low priority. To do HTML5 well, content must be markedup semantically. This is a chance to get serious about valuing semantics.
7. FULFILL THECOMMON USE CASE,NOT THE EDGE CASE If certain markup makes sense for the majority of usecases, but not all, lets do it. It can be overridden for the rest. Choosing to be super generic instead is not a solution for anyone.
8. MIMIC XHTML. BE HTML.Use XML syntax in forming our HTML. Quote our attributes. Use lowercase. Everything we are already doing. *although maybe make an exception for boolean attributes like pubdate Do not do XHTML5. Period. Meaning no mime-type of "application/xml"
9. VALUE FINDABILITY. NOT MYTHOLOGY. Look to web standards leaders, not the SEO industry, for information on best practices.
10. VALUE PRACTICALITY OVER PURITY. Just like the Design Principles of HTML5.If we have to ‘cheat’ to make it work, oh well. *We already have hacks to make it work in IE, why is this a time to get purist?
11. SUPPORTEVOLUTIONWe will keep changing Drupals "HTML5y-ness" over time. Its not all or nothing. Its a process.
10 GUIDING PRINCIPLES 1. Support older browsers. 2. Lean into the diversity of devices. 3. Maintain existing functionality. 4. Perform. 5. Be accessible. 6. Get semantic.7. Fulﬁll the common use case, not the edge case. 8. Mimic XHTML. Be HTML. 9. Value ﬁndability. Not mythology. 10. Value practicality over purity. 11. Support evolution.