1. Engaging the Learner with Social Networking Tools: Techniques for the Online Classroom<br />Hagerstown Community College<br />Jennifer B. Staley<br />American Public University System<br /> August 26, 2010<br />
4. “Interesting Ways to use Twitter in the Classroom” - http://bit.ly/9akyWb<br />“50 Ideas on Using Twitter for Education” - http://bit.ly/cAcBql<br />
7. Engage students on any subject while using a medium familiar to students<br />Information presented using multiple voice, perspectives & formats<br />Centralized or Decentralized Role Play<br />http://multimedialearning.com/abraham-lincoln-and-facebook-for-learning/<br />
8. Facebook for Learning Resources<br /><ul><li>Educause:http://www.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ELI7025.pdf
13. I’m majoring in Facebook, how about you: http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/08/magazines/fortune/blakely_facebook.fortune/index.htm</li></li></ul><li>Read Only, Viewing, Flat,<br />Editor, Personal Website, <br />Centralized<br />User Generated, Hands On, Dynamic, Buzz, Blog, Crowdsourcing, Social Networking<br />
14. Web 2.0: Technologies<br />Wiki: Web page that can be viewed & modified by anybody with a Web browser & access to the Internet. Enables collaboration. If any part of your class involves collaboration or a collaborative project, a wiki can be a valuable tool. <br />Diigo | www.diigo.com | Diigo's features allow you to highlight critical features within text & images, write comments directly on the web pages, collect & organize series of web pages into coherent & thematic sets, and facilitate online conversations within the context of the materials themselves. <br />Delicious | www.delicious.com | Delicious is a social bookmarking service that allows users to tag, save, manage and share web pages from a centralized source. With emphasis on the power of the community, Delicious greatly improves how people discover, remember and share on the Internet. <br />iTunesU | www.apple.com/education/itunes-u | A distribution system for lectures to language lessons, films to labs, audiobooks to tours. An innovative way to get educational content into the hands of students.<br />
15. Web 2.0 Technologies<br />YouTube | www.youtube.com | Video sharing website on which users can upload and share videos.<br />TeacherTube | www.teachertube.com | Video sharing website similar to, and based on, YouTube. It is designed to allow those in the educational industry, particularly teachers, to share educational resources. The site contains a mixture of classroom teaching resources and others designed to aid teacher training.<br />LinkedIn | www.linkedin.com | Connect with classmates, faculty and family professionally.<br />Google Groups | www.google.com | Form an online community, communicate with students, homework, integration with other online resources, online discussion, co-curricular groups, teacher to teacher groups.<br />
16. Resources<br /><ul><li>Sloan Consortium (Sloan-C) | http://sloanconsortium.org | Institutional and professional leadership organization dedicated to integrating online education into the mainstream of higher education, helping institutions and individual educators improve the quality, scale, and breadth of education.
17. Community College Survey of Student Engagement (CCSSE) | http://www.ccsse.org | The report offers data about the quality of community college students’ educational experiences & describes how colleges across the country are intentionally making connections with students online, in the classroom, & on campus.
18. eLearning Guild | http://www.elearningguild.com | Community & Resources for e-Learning Professionals
19. United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA) | http://www.usdla.org | Advocacy, information networking & opportunities for the distance learning community</li></li></ul><li>Resources, cont.<br /><ul><li>Edutopia (George Lucas Educational Foundation) | www.edutopia.org | Empowering & connecting teachers, administrators, and parents with innovate solutions & resources to better education
20. Educause | www.educause.edu | Advance higher education by promoting the intelligent use of information technology
21. Blackboard Community | http://www.blackboard.com
22. LinkedIn Groups | www.linkedin.com
23. The Chronicle of Higher Education | chronicle.com</li></li></ul><li>http://card.ly/jennystaley <br /> firstname.lastname@example.org<br />