• Like
  • Save
Vocab Osseo handouts
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×
 

Vocab Osseo handouts

on

  • 737 views

 

Statistics

Views

Total Views
737
Views on SlideShare
734
Embed Views
3

Actions

Likes
0
Downloads
1
Comments
0

1 Embed 3

http://jmplucker.blogspot.com 3

Accessibility

Categories

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft Word

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment

    Vocab Osseo handouts Vocab Osseo handouts Document Transcript

    • Vocabulary Instruction Today’s Objectives: 1. Clarification of Greek and Latin Prefix, Suffix, Base, Root 2. Motivation for sharing the wealth 3. Sharing of examples of word lists 4. Glimpse into techniques for teaching the word parts Let’s get on the same page! Root is generic term for ANY part of a word that carries meaning. . .whether it is a prefix, base, or suffix. Prefix—beginning of the word --directional, showing time, numerical, negation Base—Middle of a word offers basic meaning— sometimes stands alone or needs no prefix. Suffix—End of a word, typically to indicate part of speech. Least important for deriving meaning of a word. ROOT Prefix Base Suffix Why focus on classical roots?Dr. Jen McCarty Plucker Page 1
    • Vocabulary Instruction 90 % of English words with more than one syllable are Latin based Most of remaining 10% are Greek based A single Latin root generates 5-20 English words. ~Rasinsky, et. al, 2008 Why direct instruction? 90 80 70 60 50 Percentile 40 rank on 30 test 20 10 0 No vocab Direct Direct instruction Vocab instruction Instruction related to Content How do I choose which words to teach?Essential Vocabulary  2-3 words per week (per class) is all students can handle.  Do the math:Word Parts  2-3 per week  5-20 additional words generated from that part  Do the math:Brick and Mortar words: Brick words: Specific to a discipline (our essential content vocabulary)Dr. Jen McCarty Plucker Page 2
    • Vocabulary Instruction BUT our Bricks need Mortar to hold content specific words together and to promote transfer of knowledge across our disciplines. Mortar words: Academic Vocabulary— “general but sophisticated words used across domains that mature users use to communicate complex thoughts.” ~Zwiers, p. 22Essential brick and mortar words vs. other terms neededto comprehend text. • Choose essential words—2-3 per week. • Give students other words to have. Develop Word Lists Ideally, K-12 lists by content area. Better, 9-12 by content area—academic vocabulary across the school. Good, by grade and content At least, by unit within your class. Marzano and Pickering’s 6 Step Process for Direct Vocabulary Instruction Step 1: Explanation of term by instructor. Choral repeat of pronunciation of the word. http://wordcentral.com Step 2: Pair/Share—turn to your neighbor and either explain the term in your own words or give an example. (Don’t simply repeat what I said) Step 3: Non-linguistic activity (Vocabutoon ) Steps 1-3 would be done in 10-15 minutes of first day. Do with each essential word. Step 4: Periodically during the week, ask students to ‘play with’ or do a short activity with the essential vocabulary. Examples: – Word in context: On a sheet of paper/Exit card—do the following:Dr. Jen McCarty Plucker Page 3
    • Vocabulary Instruction Write down a synonym or antonym of the term. What are your FEELINGS regarding this word? Step 5: Periodically during the week ask students to discuss the terms with each other. Example: Think/Pair/Share Think of whether you think this is a word that has positive or negative connotation— explain and model. Pair with a partner and discuss what you have thought about. Allow some students to Share with the whole class. Step 6: Play games and have fun with the term. Example: – Create a poem—cinquian – Play Jeopardy – http://www.vocabulary.com/ Bottom Line: Take MORE time with essential vocabulary and worry less/ let go of/ give to students non- essential vocab.Dr. Jen McCarty Plucker Page 4