2. Objectives for this Tutorial What is Copyright? Copyright is a form of protection provided by the laws of the United States (title 17, U. S. Code) to the authors of “original works of authorship,” including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual works. This protection is available to both published and unpublished works.
3. Objectives for this Tutorial Why is Copyright important? We want to be literate in the copyright law that pertains to teaching and scholarly use of information. We are personally liable if we have not followed copyright law and fair use guidelines.
4. Objectives for this Tutorial To understand the concept of “fair use” and fair use best practices. Section 107 of the Copyright Law also sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair: The purpose and character of the use The nature of the copyrighted work The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work
5. Objectives for this Tutorial Be aware that the university’ has a draft copyright policy and the university’s web pages contain answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs), copyright information pages, and further guidance on copyright.
6. Objectives for this Tutorial Make informed decisions when preparing materials for courses.
7. Objectives for this Tutorial Be aware of the TEACH Act and DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) and thus proceed in an informed manner when teaching.
8. Objectives for this Tutorial Be knowledgeable about related information technology and intellectual property policies at the University.
9. Objectives for this Tutorial Know whom to contact for university copyright permissions questions or for guidance on issues of copyright.
10. Test your copyright knowledge by taking ourCopyright Basics Assessment.Provide your evaluation of this tutorial usingCopyright Basics Survey
11. Thank You!Please proceed to Box 3, Copyright Basics