Villa of the Mysteries, Cult of Bacchus (Pompeii) 50 B.C.
Atrium, House of the Silver Wedding (Pompeii) early 1stcentury A.D.This house was named in honour of the Italian royal couple, Umberto and Margherita of Savoy, on the occasion oftheir silver wedding anniversary in 1893, the same year in which the house was discovered. It is located in the lastside street off Via Vesuvio, next to an area which has yet to be excavated. It was built in the 2nd century B.C. andis distinguished by its high atrium with four large column which support the roof and its bedroom where thesunlight was filtered by means of veils. There are two gardens. The first is in line with the atrium and has its ownprivate bath-house and open-air swimming pool, a large kitchen and garden and an elegant living room. The latterwas decorated with a mosaic floor and a second style paintings and has four octagonal imitation porphyrycolumns supporting a barrel-vaulted ceiling. The ceiling of the peristyle is higher on the side which receives mostsunlight in order to provide a particularly pleasant area to sit on winter days. The second garden, which is muchlarger and completely surrounded by a wall, has a pool in the centre and an outdoor triclinium.
The Tetrarchs, 300 A.D.The tetrarchs (from the Greek words for "Four rules") were the four co-rulersthat governed the Roman Empire as long asDiocletians reform lasted. Herethey were portraied embracing, in sign of harmony, in a porphyry sculpturedating from the 4th century, produced in Asia Minor, today on a cornerof Saint Marks in Venice, next to the "Porta della Carta".
Coin depicting Constantine with Sol invictus, 305 A.D.