Creating Strategic Content and
Getting Outreach Success
Presented by: Jenneva Vargas
• Get people talking about the brand
• Drive qualified traffic and leads
• Drive links to the site
A tale of two viral campaigns
Small Business and Big Brand
Nope. Chuck Testa.
Yep, You Became A Meme
And Your Point is?
What value did his site get?
Now a look at Dove’s Real
What was the end result to the
The Early Days of the Campaign
• Linking to original source is rare.
– Get the most bang for your campaign by
setting up a post link building campaign
• Make sure your site is set up to receive
the full value of your efforts.
Achieve Market Virality
• Answer pain points of the
• Provide industry insights wrapped in a
compelling content piece.
• Use Psychographic data to find themes
that will resonate with your Target
• Outreach your content.
Outreach Strategy and
• Things to consider when outreaching
– Promotion Time
– Influencers to outreach to
– Offering exclusives vs a Tiered Approach
Offering Exclusives on
• This would be for sites that are
extremely well known
• Sites that speak directly to your niche
• T1 – High Authority Sites or Sites where
targeted influencers are the primary
• T2 – These sites are smaller, but still
offer quality readership
• T3 – To get a Link: Visua.ly, Cool
Infographics, Stumble Upon, etc.
How To Evaluate an
• Do they have an online presence?
– Their own blog + Company Blog
– Are they on Social Networks
– Do other people see them as a thought
leader in their niche
• Pro tip: Search Top # influencers in X industry
Tools to Help Judge Influence
But the big winner for me is…
• “You can order all active Twitter users
by influence, dissect your social graph,
or find new followers who are most
• Social Authority
The Outreach Process
Um… What is Professional
• Getting in front of your desired
– Promoting their content
– Letting them know what you think about
their own content
– Helping them find other content that is
“But…. We Just Met on
• Target Influencers and get in front of
them so when you do start the
conversation your brand seems familiar
• Use Power Editor to target via email.
AKA The Creep
I LIKE TO CALL IT “PRETARGETING”
• Best to start the conversation before
you ask them to look or RT any of your
content to their followers.
• Hashtags allow for search.
Methods of Outreaching
Social Media Networks
• Google +
Additional Points of
• Web Forms
• Networking/In Person
Stages of the Campaign
Steered client to strategic content
Developed list of influencers
Started professional flirting
Launched the campaign and
outreached (to the non-linking
• What’s next?
• The main success metric you need to
be measuring is leads.
Traffic – needs to be qualified traffic.
Secondary lead gen