Transcript of "Interview with a teaching professional"
Interview with a Teaching Professional
• Teaches in a formal setting
• Ivy League School Educator
– Doctorate and MA in International Relations
– MA and BA in Economics
– Designed and teaches a business class
described by Forbes magazine as one of the
top ten most innovative business school
classes in the country.
– Classes focus on problem solving real life
issues in conflict ridden countries using a
values based approach.
Why did you become an
• Worked as a business consultant and found
that their value would be better served in a
formal teaching setting.
• Wanted to challenge learners to think beyond
the scope of the classroom.
• Wanted learners to learn how to deal with
issues on a global level not just a community
• Truly loves academia and teaching adult
What are the challenges you face
• Understanding that ones size does not fit all
and convincing universities to change
curriculum to fit diverse learners.
• Funding from institutions of higher learning.
• Students ability to pay for quality level of
• The ability of the aging facility to provide
relevant insight to diverse modern audience.
Why is life long learning
• Globalization has driven the need to stay
relevant in modern times.
• Learners must gain and implement the right
knowledge in an effective manner.
• As technology changes and advances the
learner must stay educated in order to be value
added to the organization he or she works for.
• Learners need to be able to adapt in times of
crisis and be willing to learn a new skill if the
economy and work force calls for it.
What have you learned from your
• Learning viewed through the lens of culture is
• Learners want to play and active role of
• Learners want to be able to stay in touch with
their educators – reach back capability.
• Classroom learning isn’t enough, real case
studies with the opportunity to solve real
problems helps learners fully understand the
• Learner want to return to class and mentor new
What advise would you offer to a
Be passionate and compassionate.
Encourage active learning.
Ask for feedback from colleagues and learners.
Learn from your students.
This interview was important in understanding the day
to day challenges of teachers. Whether in a class
room or an online teaching setting, the educator
has different motivations to educate. Educators
must employ different teaching styles based on the
objective of the learners and face physical, fiscal,
and other barriers to education. Educators,
whether in the form of instructor or facilitator, are
an important part of life long learning.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.