New Media Means Everybody's a Journalist, Critic, Friend - Why Healthcare Shouldn't Be Scared to Employ Social Media Strategies
New media and spreading the word(s)
Everyone’s a journalist...and a critic.
5.19.09 - BIO 2009 - B316 4pm
Your friendly SM panelists...
The Fine Print
• CreativeCommons Attribution = Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported
• this means you can share it...(copy, distribute, transmit remix it)
• for NONCOMMERCIAL purposes (shared for the greater good people, don’t
you feel all warm and fuzzy?)
• but you must attribute: “Jen McCabe (Gorman), OrganizedWisdom Health, 2009”
• if you alter, transform, or build on this, MUST distribute under same/similar license
• questions? email@example.com
• @jensmccabe; txt 301.904.5136 for iPhone love
The importance of
Chief Patient Advocate -
Cofounder - NextHealth (NL)
Health Tweet - @jensmccabe
Blogger - hmrx.posterous.com
Aunt to Baby Ellen
Who owns what?
• Reputation creation is a community act.
• Craft ID, share, connect, collect, accept, revise. Rinse. Repeat.
• Content is not king. Content-sharers are kings, and queens in new media.
• Authority is not automatic.
• Respect is earned with repeated acts of micro-relevance.
I can only create value as an individual in the new
media market by sharing individual, my n=1
• Relate to self.
• Relate to others.
• Find poignant, painful points of value. These are the areas in social media
where everyone sounds pissed off, or, worse yet, utterly discouraged.
I/0 Commandments. A new code for new media.
• First, do no harm. Thou shalt not slander or libel.
• Second, thou shalt not covet thy neighbors UGC.
• Third, thou shalt put the needs of the community above the needs of self.
• Fourth, thou shalt not invoke vague, generalized social media strategies in
“WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS
OF SOCIAL MEDIA FOR
if you’re asking yourself this question, your
social media efforts are destined to fail.
What should you be asking?
What are beneﬁts of a SPECIFIC SOCIAL MEDIA tool/site/service for the health
of MY audience?
Um, who IS my audience?
Where do they live/work/play online?
How to ﬁgure out which channel?
• did web searches using 3 keywords: depression, bipolar (BPD), and
major depression (MDD)
• searched using Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Flickr, Google, Google
• ‘depression’ with most results (2x), bipolar second most ‘popular’
Generalized goals only your CEO could love
Drive targeted pageviews. Build lists for ongoing retention/engagement.
Foster community around OW brands.
• how many Twitter feeds do we need? (depression, bipolar, MDD)
• what content do we use (already available WC?)
• how do we get followers/who do we want to follow?
• who’s responsible for care and feeding?
• how are we gonna do this (process)?
• what type of stuff should we be tweeting?
• how should we skin it? special design?
• how should we make it interesting, authentic, valuable, yadda yadda?
a ground zero glance at
building the ﬁrst
1 primary staff member (PT). 1 supporting staff
member (PT - other duties).
That’s great. But how much TIME (read: $) do we
really need to spend on this?
AMP States Ramp It Up (active/monitoring/passive)
• “active” - 1 tweet/hour during ‘daily grind’
• “monitoring” - all hours (keyword alerts on Google, Summize/Twittersearches)
• From @loiswingerson on Twitter (5.18.09)
How to plan the whole shebang?
You’ve got strategic goals, right? Novel concept. Annual. Quarterly. Monthly.
We use Twitter activity to promote/support “Trafﬁc & Engagement.”
IPE: We want it to drive how many people visit OrganizedWisdom.com.
Who’s responsible for care/feeding?
• Who regularly attends events?
• Who has the budget for travel/conferences?
• Who tends to suggest your org. begin Facebook groups, engage on LinkedIn,
• NOT necessarily the top dog (Tony@Zappos, Scott Monty@Ford)
• D (data gathering) = reading email, scanning news %
• P (processing) = ﬁnding relevant link %
• S (synthesis) = reading the article, thinking about who’s
interested in this research, where to post it, do I need it %
• R (redistribution) = tweet the link %
But how do you track visitors to a tweetstream?
Pageview Calculation Formula
pageviews/visitor(a) x visitors/tweet(b) x tweets/
month (c) = estimated pageviews
Hit Her w/Hard Numbers - Measure/Manage
Courtesy of Bitly.com account and Google
Analytics ‘advanced segment’ tracking.
Also, Tweetstats, # tweets (w/w, m/m) RTs/DMs
(weekly), followers (w/w, m/m), “conversation
How to train your folks
• TwitterWisdom FAQs (mission, goals, process) V1.0, 2.0 - composed by Jen McCabe
• Twitter101 Class (open to anyone in the organization)
• Editorial Calendar review, discussion (monthly phone call, real-time ATM chats as needed,
• ‘teaching moments’ using Google chat, Twitter, Bitly
• internal team strategy chat; best practices, examples
Open gown reporting
• ﬁrst weekly team strategy call of the month EVERYONE gets update on TwitterWisdom
• primary staff member responsible for TwitterWisdom feed(s) shares followers, DMs, RTs,
• also selected quotes, events, ‘highlights,’ star followers
• ALL ITEMS housed in public, ‘available to all’ working docs hosted in cloud (Google docs)
• anyone can contribute, anyone can take notes, see exec team feedback
Hold your breath - Deep Dives
Bitly. Google Analytics. “Team Tweeting” strategies. Twitterverse cultural norms.
Editorial Calendar. Weekly Twitter productivity reporting. How to analyze ROI/
pageviews. Setting up tweets for later (autotweeting, autofollowing). How to
change a ﬂat tire. Not really. But someone on Twitter could probably tell us...
This work is licensed under the
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
To view a copy of this license, visit:
Or send a letter to:
Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.