Thank you Brian for that kind introduction.I am really pleased to be here to talk about Big Data and Strategic Alliances. While I have been working with Strategic Alliances since the early 1990’s, Big Data is, of course a new phenomenon. I began dealing with Big Data at exactEarth a few years ago where we built a satellite system that is today collecting 5-10 million messages a day from 85,000 ships worldwide.I’ll talk a little about that toward the end of my talk.But first, let’s look at the first assumption that I just made – namely, that Big Data is a new phenomenon.
Big Data has been with us for a long time – so why is it so hot now. That’s what we will examine tonight.I looked for something to capture the enthusiasm we see today for big data and I found this poemIt conveys the overwhelming sense of opportunity and challenge felt in the industry today.But… it was published in 1939!
It is the hot new fad! Right now.
Tonight I’ll talk about these things. At the end I’ll tell a story of how I have been dealing with these issues and opportunities over the past few year.First, where is all this big data coming from?
Where is it all coming from.?
These are QUALITATIVE changes. There are NEW kinds of data from NEW networks and NEW sources/operators of Applications
1. Big Data of Strategic Alliance Professionals
October 9, 2013
2. Ode to Big Data..
Upon this gifted age, in its dark hour,
rains from the sky a meteoric shower
of facts...they lie, unquestioned, uncombined.
Wisdom enough to leach us of our ill
is daily spun; but there exists no loom
to weave it into a fabric.
3. Nevertheless – Big Data IS big now
White House: National $200M "Big Data Initiative“
World Economic Forum featured topic
4. Three V’s of Big Data
5. The Big Data Tsunami is Only Just Beginning
Things as Sources
People as Sources
6. Exponential Growth!
7. Ok it’s BIG but…
is it Evolution or Revolution?
8. Big numbers don’t make a revolution
9. Core Drivers are the real revolution
• Social Media
• Smart Sensors
(4G and satellite)
Six disruptive forces at once!
• Cloud Computing
• Mobile apps
• Hybrid data
10. Why it matters
11. IT Chaos for 5-7 years
12. Light at the end
• Hybrid Cloud computing will be ubiquitous
• All databases will handle unstructured data
• Price war in wireless will become trench warfare
• Everything will be compatible with mobility
• Big Data will still be growing …
but the world will be able to handle it
13. RETHINK THE STRATEGIC SITUATION
First find the right question!
How do we integrate
all four technologies
groups to create new
value? Wireless, Cloud,
What new insights
could be created with
new information about
Where do we
need help ?
How could competitor
capture our customers
if they had unlimited
14. Capability Gaps Alliance Opportunity
15. Alliance Flavors
16. Choose the right flavor…
17. Strategic Alliances
• Close relationships
roles with operational
• NOT a transaction
• NOT a purchase or
18. Alliances require focus
• Working through Chaos requires commitment, good will
• Payoff : Opportunity & Competitive Advantage
• Build good relationships and nurture them
– ASAP Best Practices
19. ONE COMPANY’S STORY
20. 90 % of all world trade
22. Search and Rescue
24. END 2 END
25. But it will be streamed, blogged, tweeted,
posted, stored and marketed
26. “It's tough to make predictions,
especially about the future.”