1. Welcome8th grade Language Arts Mrs. Walsh Mr. Brady (student teacher-MAC Program: Univ. Mich) Contact info- firstname.lastname@example.org 994-1989 ext. 32430 (direct message line) 645-2567 (cell #)
2. Language Arts Curriculum• Taught in a workshop style with time, ownership and response at center• Genre studies: science fiction, realistic fiction, technical writing, research (Capstone), historical fiction, holocaust, newspaper• Vocabulary: Word Generation (interdisciplinary)• Grammar weekly• Article of the Week- Stresses informational reading, critical thinking and persuasive writing techniques.• I want students to ULTIMATELY LOVE READING AND WRITING…..This is achieved (usually) through the CHOICE aspect of Workshop.
4. Writing Workshop• Will write 3-5 pages • Revision is stressed of rough draft • Grammar is writing each week. addressed through• Will revise and write Writing/Revision, final draft of self- selected piece for Grammar Punk and each genre study. Daily Language• Digital Portfolio of Review materials. examples of each • Lots of work on genre sentence structure• Informational and sophistication of writing through language. vocab study.
5. Reading Workshop• Choice: Students will choose most novels they • Should read for 30 will be reading. We will minutes each night or 3 also have book groups 1/2 hours total per week and a whole class novel. OUTSIDE of class. Novels, not magazines• Will read most of the hour on Fridays • Please sign reading calendars. You should have seen them already!• Will be required to DO NOT sign if student respond to their reading isn’t reading! Please in writing each week in a make them responsible Lit. Log-this is where they learn application of literary terms • Will cover same genres as writing
6. Homework Policy• All work is due by 3:00 • All students who are p.m. on the date due. absent will have two days for each day absent to• Students can use an make up work. It is the Oops Coupon for full STUDENT’S responsibility credit on one late to ask for the work. homework assignment each quarter. Must be turned in, with the signed coupon, within a week of • PLEASE Check Power the due date. School for grade info. Late work takes longer to• All grading is done get in there. on straight points. No weighting.
7. Fall Conferences • Thurs., Oct. 11, 4-7 p.m. • Thurs., Oct. 18, 5-8 p.m. • Thurs., Nov. 15, 5-8 p.m. (by invitation) ALL CONFERENCES ARE ARENA STYLE FOR 7TH AND 8TH GRADE
8. Website Info• Grades are updated WEEKLY on Power School. Late work may not go in immediately.• Website: http://www.teacherweb.com/MI/AnnArbor/Walsh/t. aspx• Homework is posted here each Monday or Tuesday for that week.• Big projects/assignments will be uploaded to this site as well.
9. Your Homework…• Please write me an email about your child as a learner. Tell me anything you’d like about what you’ve observed over the past 13 years or so. It is so important to get information I need at the beginning of the year in order to be the best teacher I can be for each student.• Due date: October 31st. Thanks!