View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
• Working knowledge of principles and practices
shaping the journalism and public relations fields
• Be able to write clearly and concisely, using AP Style
and appropriate grammar.
• Understand and have practiced good reporting
• Understand strong relationship between journalism
and public relations
• No in-class meetings
• Call-in cell phone hours:
• Tuesday & Thursday 11 a.m.-12 p.m.
• Other times by appointment
• Online lectures most days Monday-Thursday; Friday work
• Lectures will be posted on our course MyClasses site:
• I am available via email, Facetime, Skype, and phone
• I will reply within 24 hours of your email (by 3 p.m. Monday
• Writing & Reporting News: A Coaching Method (Carole Rich)
• Chapters listed are according to the 7th edition;
Pay attention to chapter titles rather than numbers!
• Buy used on Amazon – new books are quite pricey
• The Associated Press Stylebook
• You will need this for weekly style quizzes
• You will use it in many of your upper-level courses later
• Any daily newspaper in print or online
• View/listen to a lecture Monday-Thursday
• Homework/projects due at 11:59 p.m. on assigned
• Work turned if after 11:59 p.m.will receive a 10-point
deduction for each day late
• Communicate with me before you fall too far behind;
I can’t help you after the fact
• Keep up with the readings
• Projects: 30 percent
• Reported news story – 15 percent
• Media kit – 15 percent
• Homework: 30 percent
• Quizzes: 30 percent
• Tuesdays: AP style & grammar
• Thursdays: Readings
• Participation: 10 percent
Social media article
• Worksheets, practice assignments, information, etc.
• Peer feedback
• Assigned partner each week
• Graded on quality of feedback and timeliness
• Make yourself available to your partner!
• Turn in weekly evaluation
• No peer feedback – let me know!
• DO NOT COPY!