SOCCER FOOTBALLHistory: -Football, a game played by kicking a ball, canbe traced back to early Greek and Roman civilization. -Historians said that football came to Englandthrough the Romans , but the Irish claimed thatKicking games were played in their land a thousandyears ago before the coming of the Romans. - These were played by the soldiers in camps and in the streets of England. -It was forbidden in 1314 and made a penaloffense under Henry VIII in 1504 -Soccer game is an International game and it is theNational sport of 53 countries in the world.
Facilities and Equipment1. Playing Field The field of the soccer game measures 109.72 m long and 68.58 m wide (for the boys) and 73.15 to 91.44 m long and 36.57 to 54.86 m wide for girls.
2. Flags3. Ball -specifies that the ball is an air-filled sphere with a circumference of 68–70 cm (27–28 in), a weight 410– 450 g (14–16 oz), inflated to a pressure of 0.6 – 1.1 atmosphere (600 – 1,100 g/cm2) at sea level (8.5 lbs/sq in –15.6 lbs/sq in), and covered in leather or "other suitable material
Terminologies Used in Soccer1. Blocking - a force that involves stopping the progress of an opponent by using body contact. 2. Carrying - a force in which the goalkeeper takes more than three steps while in possession of the ball 3. Heading - Involves moving the ball with the head 4. Pant - Dropping the ball and kicking it with the foot before it touches the ground.
5. Off-side - term used if a player is ahead of the ball in the opponent’s territory and nearer the goal than the two opponents6. Tackle - method of getting the ball away from an opponent without any body contact7. Trapping - stopping and gaining control of the ball by the use of the feet or one or both legs.8. Dribbling - advancing the ball by a series of short kicks
10. Corner kick - awarded to the attacking team when the ball passes over the goal line except between the goal posts and last touched by a defender11. Free kick - awarded to the offended team for foul occurring outside penalty area12. Good Kick - given to the defensive team if ball goes over the goal line other than between the goal posts and last touched by an offensive player
13. Kick In - putting the ball in play after it is out of bounds.14. Passing - Kicking a ball towards a teammate15. Penalty kick - awarded to the offended team at the penalty kick mark if the defensive player is fouled in his own penalty area.16. Roll-In - putting the ball in play after a foul by both teams.
17. Volleying - kicking the ball while it is on the air18. Goalkeeper - a player who guards the ball19 Touch - the side line and end lines of a soccer field.20. Penalty mark - a spot 12 yards from the goal line where each penalty kick is attempted
Nature of the Game Soccer -Soccer is basically a running and kicking game. - It is a team game that requires speed, endurance , body and ball control. - The objective of the game is to advance the ball down the field by using the body and the feet to score points by sending the ball between the goalposts and under the cross. - There 11 players on a team. -The Goal Keeper is the only team member who may use his hands on the ball.
Basic Fundamental Skills1. Running2. Kicking3. Volleying4. Jab – this kick is useful in passing accuracy over a short distance not exceeding 15 yards. The chief movement here is from knee and ankle joints5. Trapping the ball – To kill or to stop the ball6. Dribbling the Ball – this is an ability in which the player may express his individuality - it is a series of the short quick tap from one foot to the other, the ball being propelled by the inside of the foot7. Heading