Labour May Day (1) The land for the people (2) Production for use not profit (3) The interest of all. Note the three rich men hold bags labeled RENT, PROFIT, and INTEREST
An Introduction to Karl Marx and Marxism
J. Marshall, 2011
• Born 1818 in Trier
• Studied philosophy and economicsin
• Married Jenny von Westphalen
• Earned hisliving (badly) asa
• Died 1883 in London having only
written threeof theplanned eight
volumesof Das Kapital.
• Marx wasacommunist.
Friedrich Engelsin 1848.
• Hehad threekindsof writing:
– Political polemic
– Analysisof society and culture.
“Hisreal mission in lifewasto contribute, in one
way or another, to theoverthrow of capitalist society
and of thestateinstitutionswhich it had brought into
being, to contributeto theliberation of themodern
proletariat, which hewasthefirst to makeconscious
of itsown position and itsneeds, consciousof the
conditionsof itsemancipation. … Hisnamewill
endurethrough theages, and so also will hiswork.”
• When Marx died, hewasnot well
known (except by revolutionaries).
• After hisdeath, anumber of politicians
led “Marxist” revolutions
• Many weretotalitarian.
• Hisphilosophy underliesthethinking
of many political parties– (old Labour for
into two groups
• Our society iscapitalist.
• Ownersexploit workersand live
off themoney which theworkers
• Workersput up with this
1. They areoppressed wageslavesand
cannot fight thesystem.
2. They areindoctrinated by ideology and religion
into believing what they aretold by the
A job for United Labour
power and range.”
• Marx predicted that wealth would
belong to fewer and fewer people.
• Theworkerswould eventually realise
their position and overthrow the
• Therewould bean armed revolution
which would begin in Britain.
• It wascoming SOON.
I don’t care
• Therevolution NEVER
OCCURED (in theform hesaid it
• Peoplearenot poorer?
• Wealth isnot concentrated
in thehandsof afew rich
people(but it’smoving there).
• Britain hasn’t had a
Communist revolution yet
and isnot likely to in thenear future.
Marx in hisown words # 1
“Men maketheir own history, but
they do not makeit just asthey
please; they do not makeit under
circumstanceschosen by themselves,
but under circumstancesdirectly
found, given and transmitted from
thepast. Thetradition of all thedead
on thebrain of theliving.”
itself, first as
Marx in hisown words
“Thewriter may very
movement of history
hecannot of course
MAY SPEAK FOR
isdependent and hasno
I wish I didn’t