Facebook tops Google for weekly traffic in the U.S.
- sends 8 friend requests
- clicks the Like button 9 times
spends >55 minutes
- writes 25 comments
- becomes a fan of 2 Pages
- is invited to 3 events
- is a member of 12 groups
has 130 friends
The average Facebook user
Women aged 55 and up
are the fastest growing
in the U.S.
Facebook has become so
have identiﬁed a new
mental health disorder:
In Australia, Facebook has
inﬁltrated the court system:
•Court notices can be served
•A Facebook summons is
considered legally binding
Word Trends of 2009
(words that increased in frequency the most between 2008 and 2009)
1. Facebook Applications
3. Swine Flu
12. Lady Gaga
What’s on the page: Menu, Store
Locator, Downloads, Photos,
Chick-ﬁl-A was the ﬁrst restaurant
page on Facebook to hit 1 million
facebook.com/ChickﬁlA No. of fans: 1,508,260
Countdown to Spicy!
• Limited-release trial locations,
reservations thru Facebook
• Built an app for the Spicy launch
• Shared with other Operator
• Change content before, during, &
after the campaign
Chicago Premiere Event
• Facebook Fans in Chicago were
invited to a Premiere Event in
• The event was to kick-off
Chick-ﬁl-A opening locations
in the Chicagoland area
• Fans on Facebook could watch
the Chicago event live via
• Chat w/ other fans across the
• Viral component - fans
comments seen by their friends
“We are building a web where the
default is social.”
- Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook CEO
Mapping all the complex interactions existing
between you, your friends & the content you all like.
The Open Graph
Facebook has developed social plugins that websites
can add to make it easy for users to...
• see info from or about their
• share things with their friends
without leaving a site or going
through a time-consuming
The Activity Feed plugin
shows users what their
friends are doing on your
site through likes and
The Recommend / Like
plugins let users share any
content they like back to
their Facebook proﬁle.
What does Facebook mean for you?
• Brands that aren’t on Facebook are missing out on opportunities
to connect with their customers and future customers
• Facebook allows you to get thousands of fans and turn them into
marketers - sharing your content / message
• Facebook presence is becoming more important than your
• Facebook content displaying in real-time search
What does Lifestreaming mean for you?
• Today, people have their own brands. You have to ﬁnd a way to be
relevant to them within their brand. Think of it as co-marketing
with fans of your brand.
• Think of the many ways that your brand creates content and ﬁnd
ways to spread the word, outside of Facebook and Twitter.
• Real-time content. And portable content.
What does “checking in” mean for you?
• Location-based marketing is the next big thing, start ﬁguring it out
• Is there a way for your business to take advantage of check-ins?
Rewards, promotions, data mining, etc.?
• Is this going to be the year for Mobile?
How many hours per week do you play online social games?
A few facts about FarmVille...
• FarmVille is the most popular app in the history of Facebook
• FarmVille players outnumber real farmers in the U.S. by a ratio of
60 to 1
• On an average day, FarmVille players purchase 500,000 virtual
tractors. John Deere, the biggest U.S. manufacturer of real tractors
sell around 5,000 a year.
• FarmVille was able to raise over $1 million for Haiti relief efforts
What does Social Gaming mean for you?
• Marketing opportunities - bing example
• In many cases, apps / games within social
networks represent one of the best ways
to reach new customers.
• Consider researching whether or not
your customers are playing social games.
Is there a place for your brand within