Analysis & Synthesis For Design | An Elephant Surrounded By Blind Men
- 1,147 views
The presentation for a 2009 Workshop run at EPIC 2009 ...
The presentation for a 2009 Workshop run at EPIC 2009
Analysis and synthesis are critical to the application of observational research techniques in a design context, yet are often underrepresented in literature and discussion. What discussion there is often centers on execution of individual methods and practices and the benefits they provide. These in-depth explorations of individual methods are invaluable to us as practitioners, but mastery of any individual method does not lead to mastery of the analytical / synthetic process.
In this workshop, we will investigate the core purpose(s) individual methods serve, how they relate to each other and to the process as a whole. We will seek to establish and evaluate a strawman organizational model describing the analysis / synthesis lifecycle and the value of those activities through discussion of individual methods employed by our cross-disciplinary participants.
Goals and Benefits:
The use of such a organizational model of analysis and synthesis would be:
* -to introduce practitioners to new methods from a variety of academic backgrounds,
* -to illustrate the analytical value that these methods may provide,
* -to enable thoughtful selection of methods appropriate for the problem at hand (based on project goal, time available, data gathered, and other real world constraints),
* -to provide perspective on how individual methods relate to each other, and
* -to better articulate expected outcomes and defend time devoted to analysis and synthesis activities
- Total Views
- Views on SlideShare
- Embed Views