Concept 30.3

1,527 views
1,418 views

Published on

Blood consists of cells suspended in plasma. Presentation designed by Antonio Arzú and Ricardo Molina.

Published in: Education
0 Comments
1 Like
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Views
Total views
1,527
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
4
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
0
Comments
0
Likes
1
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Concept 30.3

  1. 1. Biology<br />Concept 30.3<br />Jose A. Arzu<br />Ricardo Molina<br />
  2. 2. The skeleton functions in support and movement<br />Vocabulary<br />PLASMA<br />RED BLOOD CELL<br />HEMOGLOBIN<br />WHITE BLOOD CELL<br />PLATELET<br />
  3. 3. Definitions<br />PLASMA: fifty-five percent of the volume of blood is a solution.<br />RED BLOOD CELL: carry oxygen from the lungs to all tissues of the body.<br />HEMOGLOBIN: iron-containing protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen for delivery to cells.<br />WHITE BLOOD CELL: blood cell that function in defending the body against infections and cancer cells; also called a leukocyte.<br />PLATELET: fragment of a blood cell originating in the bone marrow that is involved in blood clotting.<br />
  4. 4. Figure 30-9<br />Blood consists of plasma, red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets.<br />
  5. 5. Plasma is a solution of water, dissolved salts, proteins, and other, substances. Plasma makes up 55 percent of blood volume. The remaining 45 percent of blood volume consist mostly of red blood cells Blood also contains white blood cells, or leukocytes, which fight infection and help, prevent the growth of cancer. <br />
  6. 6. . Red blood cells carry oxygen from the lungs to all tissues of the body. Each red blood cell contains hemoglobin, a protein that stores oxygen for delivery to cells.<br />
  7. 7. When you get a cut, your blood usually clots and stops the bleeding. Clotting depends on small’s fragments of blood cells called platelets. Platelets release clotting factors, which result in the formation of a protein called fibrin. Fibrin threads trap platelets and blood cells, forming a clot.<br />
  8. 8. Platelets release clotting factors, which result in the formation of a protein called fibrin. Fibrin threads trap platelets and blood cells, forming a clot.<br />

×