Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
  • Like
Earth Science Syllabus
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Thanks for flagging this SlideShare!

Oops! An error has occurred.

×

Now you can save presentations on your phone or tablet

Available for both IPhone and Android

Text the download link to your phone

Standard text messaging rates apply

Earth Science Syllabus

  • 161 views
Published

 

Published in Education , Technology
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Be the first to comment
    Be the first to like this
No Downloads

Views

Total Views
161
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0

Actions

Shares
Downloads
4
Comments
0
Likes
0

Embeds 0

No embeds

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
    No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. 1|P a g eEarth Science SyllabusSyllabus 2012-20131st Trimester I. General InformationCourse Applied Science – EarthName James DunnRoom C-10Email jdunn@clioschools.orgWebsite Address http://www.haikulearning.com/Textbook Borrero, F. J., Hess, F. S., Hsu, J., Kunze, G., Leslie, S. A., Letro, S., ... Zike, D. (2008). Earth Science: Geology, the Environment, and the Universe. New York: Glencoe/McGraw-Hill II. Grading PoliciesYour Earth Science grade will be based on a variety of assignments including (but not limited to)homework, in-class assignments, labs, projects, quizzes, and a Final Exam. A. Grading ScaleA 93 – 100 C 73 – 76A- 90 – 92 C- 70 – 72B+ 87 – 89 D+ 67 – 69B 83 – 86 D 63 – 66B- 80 – 82 D- 60 – 62C+ 77 – 79 F <60 B. Final ExamThis class culminates with a cumulative Final Exam between November 28th and November 30th. Theexam is worth 14% of your overall grade for the course. The other 86% of your grade will come from allother assignments. C. Late Work PolicyAll assignments are expected to be turned in on their due date. Late work will be accepted at a 10%deduction per school day. For example, if an assignment is due on Thursday, but not turned in until thefollowing Monday, the highest grade one could receive is 80% on that assignment.
  • 2. 2|P a g e D. Cheating and Academic DishonestyNo forms of cheating will be tolerated and will result in a grade of zero for the assignment. This pertainsto both the student copying the work and the student supplying the answers.Students are expected to turn in their own work. Work is not to be copied and pasted from a website,or done by another person (friends, parents, etc.). Any work that is misrepresented as being your ownwill result in a grade of zero. III. Classroom Expectations You should be working on Earth Science class work or studying while in class. Treat everyone with respect. No name-calling, harassment, or bullying will be tolerated. Class will be dismissed when the bell rings. Please do not attempt to pack up or lineup before this time. Come to class prepared every day. Passes will not be written for you to go to your locker. You will, of course, be permitted to use the restroom. There will be times that you will be permitted to use your cell phone for instructional purposes. Please only use your cell phone with teacher permission. All Clio High School and Clio Area Schools policies and procedures will also be enforced. Other expectations will be added throughout the trimester at the discretion of the instructor. IV. Required Supplies Spiral notebook (for taking notes) Pens or pencils (required every day) A folder (to store graded and ungraded work) Textbook (required every day) Other supplies may be required throughout the trimester at the discretion of the instructor. V. Course Schedule and SequenceThe schedule detailed below is an approximation of what we will cover this trimester, and when we willcover it. Use it as a guide, but understand that it is subject to change.Week 1 September 4 – 7Topics Introduction to Earth Science, Scientific Method, MapsChapters 1,2Week 2 September 10 – 14Topic Plate TectonicsChapter 17
  • 3. 3|P a g eWeek 3 September 17 – 21Topics Fossils, Geologic TimeChapters 21 – 23Week 4 September 24 – 28Topic Introduction to Earth’s AtmosphereChapter 11Week 5 October 1 – 5Topics Meteorology, StormsChapters 12, 13Week 6 October 8 – 12Topics Climate and Climate ChangeChapter 14Week 7 October 15 – 19Topics Rocks and MineralsChapters 4–6Week 8 October 22 – 26Topics Volcanoes, Earthquakes, MountainsChapters 18 – 20Week 9 October 29 – November 2Topic Our Solar SystemChapters 27, 28Week 10 November 5 – 9Topics Stars, Galaxies, the UniverseChapters 29, 30Week 11 November 12 – 16Topic Natural ResourcesChapter 24
  • 4. 4|P a g eWeek 12 November 19, 20Topic Energy ResourcesChapter 25, 26Week 13 November 26 – 30Topics Review, Final ExamChapter NA