Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
Who hiring
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Thanks for flagging this SlideShare!

Oops! An error has occurred.

×

Introducing the official SlideShare app

Stunning, full-screen experience for iPhone and Android

Text the download link to your phone

Standard text messaging rates apply

Who hiring

927
views

Published on

The "WHO" Method of hiring.

The "WHO" Method of hiring.

Published in: Business

1 Comment
2 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • this is awesome. Thank you for sharing.
       Reply 
    Are you sure you want to  Yes  No
    Your message goes here
No Downloads
Views
Total Views
927
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
64
Comments
1
Likes
2
Embeds 0
No embeds

Report content
Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. WhoThe A Method For Hiring
  • 2. Who, Not What A Really Cool Book written by: Geoff Smart & Randy Street Presented by: Jonathan “JJ” Jarrell Regional HR Manager Performance Food Group
  • 3. Who, Not WhatWho mistakes happenwhen managers: Are unclear about what is needed in a job Have a weak flow of candidates Do not trust their ability to pick out the right candidate from a group of similar- looking candidates Lose candidates they really want to join their team
  • 4. Your #1 Problem The techniques we will discuss in the slides that follow will help everyone to find the right “who” for the right positions. Before the method can work to its optimal level, though, chances are you might have to break some bad hiring habits of your own.
  • 5. Voodoo Hiring Top 10 voodoo hiring methods: The Art The The The The Critic Sponge Prosecutor Suitor Trickster TheThe Animal The Psychological The Aptitude The Fortune- Lover Chatterbox & Personality Tester Teller Tester
  • 6. Finding A Players An A Player is defined as a candidate who has at least a 90 percent chance of achieving a set of outcomes that only the top 10 percent of possible candidates could achieve
  • 7. Sell Ensures that Select you avoid the biggest pitfalls A series of Source structured that cause the very people interviews that you want theScorecard Systematic sourcing before allow you to gather the most to take their talents you have slots relevant facts elsewhere. The scorecard to fill ensures about a person gives you a that you have so you can rate clear picture of high-quality your scorecard what the candidates and make an person you waiting when informed hiring seek needs to you need them. decision be able to accomplish. 4 steps to get an A team?
  • 8. Scorecard:A Blueprint for Success Mission The Essence of the Job Outcomes Defining What Must Get Done Competencies Ensuring Behavioral Fit Cultural Competencies Ensuring Organizational Fit
  • 9. Generating a Flow of A PlayersOf all the ways to source candidates, the No. 1method is to ask for referrals from your personaland professional networks. Talented peopleknow talented people, and they’re almost alwaysglad to pass along one another’s names
  • 10. Deputizing Deputizing friends of the firm will create new, accelerated sources of talent, but you still need to pay attention to process, and you have to be disciplined.
  • 11. Sourcing Systems The final step in the sourcing process, the one that matters more than anything else you can do, is scheduling 30 minutes on your calendar every week to identify and nurture A Players
  • 12. 4 Interviews for Spotting A Players 1 The screening interview 2 The Topgrading Interview® 3 The focused interview 4 The reference interview
  • 13. The Screening InterviewCulling the List The screening interview is a short, phone-based interview designed to clear out B and C Players from your roster of candidates
  • 14. The Topgrading InterviewThe Power of Patterns for Choosing Who The Topgrading Interview is the key interview within the “Select” step of the ghSMART A Method for Hiring. It’s a chronological walk-through of a person’s career
  • 15. Five Master Tactics 3 Push Versus Pull People who perform well are generally1 Interrupting pulled to greater opportunities. People You have to who perform poorly are often pushed interrupt the out of their jobs candidate 5 Stopping at the Stop Signs 2 The 3 P’s 4 Painting a Picture When you see that, slam Performance You’ll know you understand what a on the brakes, get Plan candidate is saying when you can curious and see just how Peers literally see a picture of it in your mind “great” he actually did.
  • 16. The Focused InterviewGetting to Know More The focused interview is similar to the commonly used behavioral interview –– with one major difference: It is focused on the outcomes and competencies of the scorecard, not some vaguely defined job description or manager’s intuition
  • 17. The Reference InterviewTesting What You Learned There are three things you have to do to have successful reference interviews 1 Pick the right references. Review your notes from the Topgrading Interview and pick the bosses, peers and subordinates 2 Ask the candidate to contact the references to set up the calls. 3 Conduct the right number of reference interviews.
  • 18. DecideWho to Hire Your goal after the Topgrading and focused interviews is to decide whether to continue the process with a particular candidate
  • 19. SellThe Top Five Ways to Seal the Deal Sell is the fourth and final step in the A Method for Hiring. 5 F for Selling Fit Family Freedom Fortune Fun
  • 20. Greatest Opportunity Hiring is a serious business. The attempt has been made to demystify and simplify the process for you, but no one can ignore the legalities of hiring. Many managers get themselves and their companies into big trouble by ignoring basic principles
  • 21. Legal Traps to AvoidTo stay well within the law, respectthese four areas of caution1 Relevance2 Standardization of hiring process3 Use nondiscretionary language during interviews and in written forms4 Avoid asking candidates illegal questions
  • 22. Thoughts onBuilding Your Team A Players get the job done while embracing the culture because the scorecard ensures that they fit the culture
  • 23. Connect With Me On