1. August 2012 KIDS BE AWARE, INC. Volume 1, Issue 5BACK TO SCHOOLWhile children in some parts of There are some things to considerthe country have already returned before choosing a hand sanitizer.to school for the 2012-2013 For example, for a hand sanitizeracademic school year, others are to be effective, it must contain atgearing up to begin soon. As least 60 percent ethyl alcoholtemperatures begin to drop and as (Wanjak, 2009). Sanitizers thatparents help their children contain less ethyl alcohol canprepare for a successful academic leave up to 50 percent of germs.year, many have noticed “new”items listed on the school supply Table of Contentslist to include: disposable It is also important to remove CEO’s Corner ............... 2drinking cups, Clorox Wipes, and rings before using sanitizer because these are favorite spots Highlights ......................... 2hand sanitizer, just to name a few,although particular type of for bacteria to hide. Finally, whensupplies listed will depend on the possible, it is always best to wash Featured Articles:your child’s age and grade level. hands with old-fashioned soapHand sanitizer seems to be a fairly and water but hand sanitizer Healthy Recipes.............. 3common item on school supply should be used when this is not Body Wellness................ 4lists, regardless of grade level. possible to reduce the risk of spreading germs. ........................................... 5Why? Of course, when theweather changes, we are moreprone to encountering others with When used properly, teachingcolds and, perhaps, even the flu. your child to use hand sanitizer appropriately may reduce his/her Many healthcare professionals tendency to become sick duringsupport the use of hand sanitizer the school year and thus, increaseand now, many teachers are your child’s overall schoolsupporting its use in the attendance which can ultimatelyclassrooms as well, and to reduce lead to better academicthe spreading of germs that can performance.lead to illnesses, such as the H1N1virus. Reference Our Mission and Vision Wanjak, C. (2009, October 27). Do hand sanitizers really work?. Live To increase disease Science, Retrieved from http:// awareness among www.livescience.com/5822- children and parents; fighting-flu-hand-sanitizers- To promote healthy work.html behaviors, reduce the spread of infections, and to reduce health- Renee Sullivan, M.A., CCLC related issues in our nation’s children.
2. Page 2 KIDS BE AWARE, INC. CEO’s Corner... community to learn to supportHowdy! such a family in their fight to findEach day, I find myself a better health approach inremembering how blessed I „am to helping their child. I can go onhave a great team of women and on talking about thearound me to support this importance of human relations inorganization and carry its helping the healing process but I time every day and try tomission to the fullest. August is a will limit myself for now. I‟m accommodate her needs the bestgreat month. It is a month of looking forward to revisit the you can? I ask that questionopportunities and I‟m hoping, a subject at a later time. because at this time, there is nomonth for a new milestone. easy way, one must get use to it Have you ever had a child with and must accept and hope forI‟m always pleased to bring more food allergy? Almost half dozen of the best.good news to you all each and Americans have children withevery month and hope that you food allergy which can be quite Our Organization focus in all frustrating. Dealing with eczema aspect of health and we areenjoy reading us as much as we and your child‟s irritability is the increasingly focusing ourselvesenjoy writing these articles for number one reason I decided to in raising awareness in mentalyou. Good news this month! The write about this. Today, I was health illnesses. I have invited aIRS has informed us in a letter trying to fix a meal for my child mother whom all 3 of herthat we should expect to children have mental illness. She and I got so frustrated because Ireceive our exemption status didn‟t know what to cook for her. will be joining us during thein the upcoming months. We When I go to the supermarket, I health conference to share herare eagerly awaiting that spent hours reading over struggles and how she gotexemption so that we can ingredients to make sure I don‟t empowered raising her childrenexpand our vision. give her anything that could be and becoming the women she is harmful. today. Please review ourIf you are like me you children activities, events and As I was rushing to get home andunderstand the importance of videos and provide us with your get ready for work, I didn‟t havehealth education to our suggestions. enough time to read so I walkedcommunity and you strive to out of the store with practically Thank you for letting us be yourpromote that along the way nothing. I went home and made prime choice for diseaseeach day. August 25th as part her some spaghetti with plain education in the communityof our board members arrival tomato, corn and chicken. Ito the Boston area, we are wonder sometimes how the poor Cheers and Peace to You! girl feels inside when I tell herorganizing a health conference By “No, you cannot have fish, or eggsand we are hoping for a or beef.” I wonder how she feels Jeannette Bryant, CEOsuccess. I think the real reason when I refuse to give her what I‟mwhy we fight so much about eating. She loves to have the samethe health of our children is to meal I „am having but because ofsecure a better health for all in her allergies, she never gets it. “We strive to partner withthe future but also to eliminate Her cries break my heart and it schools, churches, andhealth disparities. Next month, hurts seeing her mad over what organizations to focus on theI can see myself writing an article she can and can‟t eat. It irritates health and well-being of ouron bipolar disorder in children or me and makes me want to children”autism. It is a challenge for many scream, yell at somebody to fixfamilies who happen to have a things, make things better for her. We are seeking NEW Enrollment!child with mental disorder and it How do you handle your child‟s We are seeking Volunteers for various roles.becomes important for the allergies? Take it one step at a Contact us and Volunteer!
3. KIDS BE AWARE, INC. Page 3 LUNCH BOX RECIPES FOR KIDSRoast beef + fruit Mediterranean Couscous + fruitSandwich: 2 oz. lower-sodium roast beef, lettuce, 2slices tomato, 1/2-oz. slice white cheddar, 2 Make-ahead couscous can yield several lunches.teaspoons light mayo on whole-grain bread + 2 CL Couscous Salad (3/4 cup) + 2 tablespoonspineapple and strawberry fruit kebabs + 1/2 oz hummus + 8 whole-wheat pita chips + 1 cup fresh grapes Stats: 430 calories, 2.2g sat fat, 715mg sodiumhttp://www.cookinglight.com/food/lunch-box- Linda Oldenburg, Cooking Lightrecipes-kids-00412000072333/page5.htmlRoast TurkeyBreast Wrap Pizza + Carrot CrunchWrap: 1 oz. oven roasted turkey breast, 1/2oz. low sodium ham, 1 slice crumbled center Low-fat ranch doubles as a dip for both pizza andcut bacon, 1 tablespoon guacamole on half a veggies.whole wheat wrap (such as Flatout) + tomatomozzarella skewer (cut one lower sodium ½ CL Pizzadilla + 10 baby carrots + 1 tablespoonpart-skim mozzarella stick into fourths and low-fat ranch + 1 (4-oz.) cup unsweetened apple-skewer with cherry tomatoes alternately) + 8 saucevanilla wafers Stats: 250 calories, 3.4g sat fat, 594mg sodiumStats: 439 calories, 6g sat fat, 795 mg sodium
4. Page 4 KIDS BE AWARE, INC. Body Wellness “Immunizing Children for School” Susan Ruiz, M.S. As we move through August, we parents will soon be faced with preparing our children for the newschool year. Of the many hurdles parents jump over during this time of preparation, immunizing yourchildren or providing proof of immunizations, represent a challenge to parents. Sometimes it is because thevaccination records are misplaced or parents have not kept up with the regular childhood vaccinationschedule. Regardless of the reason, now we must meet our local and state requirements for entry into theschool system.In the midst of it all, parents may ask, “Why do I need to get my child immunized anyway”? According to theCenters for Disease Control (CDC), vaccinations are the most effective means of preventing childhoodillness. Historically, advances in medical knowledge have established what basic illnesses children need to bevaccinated against to give them a fighting chance at a healthy, happy life as an adult. When we think ofvaccinations, certain diseases come to mind: Chickenpox, Polio, Mumps, Pertussis (Whooping Cough),Diptheria, and Measles. Basic childhood vaccination schedules (available online from the CDC) help toeducate parents so that all children are protected from these diseases.The CDC, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices,recommend the following vaccinations for children preparing to enter kindergarten: 2 or 3 doses of the oral rotavirus vaccine (Rotarix or Rotateq) 5 doses of the DTaP vaccine 3 or 4 doses of the Hib vaccine 4 doses of the Prevnar 13 vaccine 4 doses of the polio vaccine 2 doses of the MMR vaccine 2 doses of the chicken pox vaccine (Varivax) 2 doses of the hepatitis A vaccineyearly flu vaccines, available as a nasal spray once kids are at least 2 years oldWhile these recommendations are necessary to prevent outbreaks, parents still are faced with uncertaintiesregarding whether or not to vaccinate, it is always advisable to seek the advice of your child’s medical doctor.He or she will be able to track the ages to what vaccinations are recommended. They are in the best positionto address the special needs of children with a compromised immune system (due to an infection or disease),and for those children who are on medication.If your child has an illness that weakens his or her immune system (often due to certain childhood diseasessuch as HIV or cancer), they could potentially be at risk for contracting the disease that a current vaccinationcould prevent; there still is no better resource to turn to than your child’s medical doctor. Vaccinations toprotect the child will be addressed according to the child’s medical condition and current medicationregiment.Parents are often bombarded with various news reports that seem to target a certain vaccination .Vaccinating your child is a tremendous and fairly simply step that all parents can take to ensure your childgrows into a healthy adult. It’s time to talk to your child’s doctor to see if your child is up to date. The newschool year will be upon us soon enough, are your child’s vaccinations current?
5. KIDS BE AWARE, INC. Page 5 Immunizing Children for School Providing Safe Drinking Water for Your FamilyLastly, in the midst of the rush to get everything KNOW YOUR WATER SOURCE •Find out if the pipes in your home or apartment building aretogether for school, don’t forget to safeguard your made of lead or contain lead solder.child’s immunization records. A vaccination record •Send tap water samples to your local EPA-certified labora-should be maintained with the child’s birth tory for testing, or buy a water test kit.certificate and social security card as these •If your water is supplied by a public system:documents are vital pieces of your child’s history ◦Ask your supplier what chemicals and parasites are testedthat will be needed when they transition from for and how the water is treated.childhood to adulthood. In the event they must ◦Obtain a Consumer Confidence Report on your water qual-show proof of vaccinations (such as for entry into ity from your public water authority.the military) and they cannot provide proof, these •If your water supply is a private well: ◦Test your water yearlyvaccinations will be required again. for pesticides, metals, coliform bacteria and other possible contaminants.Vaccinating your child is a tremendous and fairly ◦Avoid using pesticides, fertilizers and other chemicals nearsimply step that all parents can take to ensure your your wells supply source as they can pollute your ground-child grows into a healthy adult. It’s time to talk to water.your child’s doctor to see if your child is up to date.The new school year will be upon us soon enough, IMPROVE YOUR WATER SUPPLYare your child’s vaccinations current? •Install water treatment filters or conditioning systems. ◦Several types are available, depending on what contami- nants are present.Reference •Consider buying a water distiller.How Vaccines Prevent Diseases : http:// •Flush your pipes by running cold water for at least one min-www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/vaccine-decision/ ute.prevent-diseases.html •Do not use hot water from the tap for cooking or drinking, as toxins are more likely to leach into hot water. •Make sure formula is prepared with safe water since boilingVaccination Schedules per the Centers for Disease increases the lead concentration. Infants are at particular riskControl: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/ of lead poisoning because of the larger amount of water theyindex.html consume relative to their body size.Required School Immunizations: •If necessary, install shower/faucet filters since babies can swal-http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/vaccine- low water when bathing.decision/prevent-diseases.html •Immediately dispose of household chemicals like batteries, fluorescent bulbs, used motor oil, etc., at your municipal haz-http://www.hhs.gov/nvpo/law.htm ardous waste depot. (Do not leave them around your home where they may contaminate your water supply.)http://pediatrics.about.com/od/immunizationschedule/a/immunization_schedules_statistics.htm IMPROVE YOUR WATER SUPPLY •Read the label of your bottled water. "Spring" water comes from one or more underground sources and some bottledImmunization Schedules: water may come from a "municipal source" or from ahttp://pediatrics.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi "community water system," and may have had additional treat-=1&sdn=pediatrics&cdn=health&tm=76&gps=148_ ment.10_979_411&f=20&su=p284.13.342.ip_&tt=2&bt=1 •Avoid plastic bottles with the following recycling codes #1&bts=1&st=15&zu=http%3A//www.cdc.gov/vaccine PET, #3 PVC, #6 PS, and #7 Polycarbonate, which may leaks/recs/schedules/child-schedule.htm suspected carcinogens and hormone disruptors. •Look for safer plastic bottles, such as #2 HDPE, #4 LDPE,Immunizations and Children with Compromised and #5 PP.Immune Systems:http://www.healthychildren.org/English/safety- Read more: http://www.healthychild.org/live-healthy/checklist/prevention/immunizations/pages/Weakened- providing_safe_drinking_water_for_your_family/Immune- #ixzz1sbN9gsgzSystems.aspx?nfstatus=401&nftoken=00000000-0000-0000-0000-No+local+token
6. Page 6 KIDS BE AWARE, INC.Kids Be Aware, Inc.P. O. Box 123456Boston, MA 01100 Monthly Highlights We are seeking NEW “We strive to partner with schools, churches, Enrollment! and organizations to focus on the health and We are seeking Volunteers for various roles. well-being of our children” Contact us and Volunteer! We are on the Web! Visit us at: www.kidsbeaware.org We are also on Facebook! KBA Board Members Jeannette Bryant CEO firstname.lastname@example.org 781-535-2448 Tiffany Henderson Treasurer email@example.com 678-431-6543 Florette Dihewou Board Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org 774-242-8480 Susan Ruiz Chair email@example.com 301-302-4215 Teresa Godley-Chase Co-chair firstname.lastname@example.org 240-515-4222 Renee Sullivan Co-Chair email@example.com 478-718-1306 Regina Rainey Board Member firstname.lastname@example.org 864-303-2151