1. War in Iraq Brittany Stewart 4 th period Crowder
2. History <ul><li>On the day of March 20, 2003 war was declared on Iraq. Soldiers marched into Iraq with the determination to get Saddam Hussein out of the picture. After years of fighting he was finally captured and killed. The violence still continues after their mission was successfully completed. </li></ul>
3. History (overview) <ul><ul><li>President Bush investigated the situation concerning the weapons. He ordered hussein to give up his power within forty-eight hours on March 17, 2003. After hussein refused to do so, Bush declared major combat on Iraq March 19, 2003. Only after a few months of fighting, Bush announce that the major fighting was over on May 1, 2003. Bush said he will not withdraw the troops from over seas until the Sunnis and the Shiites stop the feuding. </li></ul></ul>
4. President George W. Bush <ul><li>Born: </li></ul><ul><li>Facts: Became president </li></ul><ul><li>in 2000. </li></ul><ul><li>Declared war on Iraq. </li></ul>
5. Saddam Hussein <ul><li>Dictator of Iraq from 1979 to 2003. </li></ul><ul><li>Led an decade long war against Iran. </li></ul><ul><li>Saddam’s regime was overthrown by President Bush. </li></ul><ul><li>Created Weapons of Mass </li></ul><ul><li>Destruction. </li></ul><ul><li>Executed on December 30, 2006. </li></ul>
6. Osama Ben Laden <ul><li>12 th most wanted on the FBI list. </li></ul><ul><li>Was said to have been </li></ul><ul><li>associated with </li></ul><ul><li>terrorism in the U.S. </li></ul>
7. Primary Source The following is an exert from an news briefing involving the war: CORONADO, Calif. -- President Bush answered growing antiwar protests yesterday with a fresh reason for US troops to continue fighting in Iraq: protection of the country's vast oil fields, which he said would otherwise fall under the control of terrorist extremists. The president, standing against a backdrop of the USS Ronald Reagan, the newest aircraft carrier in the Navy's fleet, said terrorists would be denied their goal of making Iraq a base from which to recruit followers, train them, and finance attacks. ''We will defeat the terrorists," Bush said. ''We will build a free Iraq that will fight terrorists instead of giving them aid and sanctuary." Appearing at Naval Air Station North Island to commemorate the anniversary of the Allies' World War II victory over Japan, Bush compared his resolve to President Franklin D. Roosevelt's in the 1940s and said America's mission in Iraq is to turn it into a democratic ally just as the United States did with Japan after its 1945 surrender. Bush's V-J Day ceremony did not fall on the actual anniversary. Japan announced its surrender on Aug. 15, 1945 -- Aug. 14 in the United States because of the time difference.
8. Map Of Iraq <ul><li>Baghdad is the </li></ul><ul><li>place that the war </li></ul><ul><li>has claimed most </li></ul><ul><li>civilian lives. </li></ul>
9. Causes <ul><ul><li>Many thought that the Iraq-Iran war was caused by September 11, but that is a false statement. The cause of the was weapons of mass destruction. President Bush was under the conception that Iraq leader Saddam Hussein was building the weapons in hopes of taking control of the world. </li></ul></ul>
10. Causes <ul><li>President Bush states that we are in war with iraq because Saddam Hussein is a major threat to the United States. He has corrupted the middle eastern way of life and has much influence throughout the world. He has access to weapons of mass destruction, and is capable of killing hundreds of thousands. </li></ul>
11. Timeline March 17, 2008- Bush gives Hussein 48 hour deadline to release power. March 19, 2003- Bush declares major combat on Iraq. May 1, 2003- Bush declares major combat has ended. December 13, 2003- Saddam Hussein is captured. June 28, 2004- U.S. occupation Authority turns power over to Iraq government.
12. Timeline (cont.) November 2004- Declared the deadliest month in Iraq. May 3, 2005- First democratically elected Iraqi government was sworn in. August 19, 2006- The war surpasses the length of WWII. November 5, 2006- Saddam was sentenced to death. December 30, 2006- Saddam was executed.
13. Bibliography <ul><li>"Iraq War Timeline." Bookrags . 13 May 2008 <www.bookrags.com/Iraq_War>. </li></ul><ul><li>Bowman, Rev. Dr. Robert M. "Our War Against Iraq: Causes and Cure." (2005). 13 May 2008 <www.thinkprogress.org/iraq-timeline>. </li></ul>
14. Bibliography <ul><li>Loven, Jennifer. "Bush Gives New Reason for War." The Boston Globe 31 Aug. 2005. 13 May 2008 <www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/08/31/bush_gives_new_reason_for_iraq_war>. </li></ul><ul><li>Bruno, David, and Brennan Howell. Tiger Times Issue One . 02 Oct. 2004. 13 May 2008 www.chargin-falls.k12.oh.us/CFHS/newspape/oct02_issu/editorial1.html . </li></ul>