1. Floppy DisksThe floppy disk used to be the choice of media before theintroduction of the compact disc and USB pen drives. Thisonce very useful invention was developed by Japanese Dr.Yoshiro Nakamatsu in 1952 and was large – 8 inches or200 mm in diameter. It was commercialized in 1971 andwas adopted by IBM
2. The Compact DiscThe compact disc (CD)was the choice of storagefor media.Sony first demonstratedthe use of audio oncompact disc in 1976 areperhaps the mostimportant technologies tocome out of Japan.The optical disc remainsone of the modern world’s most ubiquitousinventions
3. Portable Music PlayerBefore the iPod, portablemusic was carried incassettes and listened toon the Walkman,invented by NobutoshiKihara in 1978.The invention was thestandard for portablemusic for almost 20 years
4. CalculatorAlthough the first so-called ‘compact’calculator was also madein Japan, it wasn’t until1971, helping toconserve battery andbrain power around theworld.
5. Digital SLR CameraThe first known digitalcamera with single-lensreflex elements was theSony MavicaJapanese-developed,full-fledged digital SLRsstarted to the popularchoice amongprofessionalphotographers
6. Video CassetteThe video cassette and VCR, bothSony creations made available in1971, represented the start of anew era in home entertainment.
7. Camcorderan electronic device thatcombines a video cameraand a video recorder intoone unit; typically for out-of-studio consumer videorecording, Commercialdigital recording waspioneered in Japan byNHK and NipponColumbia, also known asDenon, in the 1960s. Thefirst commercial digitalrecordings were releasedin 1971
8. Quartz WristwatchReleased in 1969, theSeiko Astron was theworld’s first quartzwristwatch. Quartztechnology represented asubstantial upgrade overold-fashioned mechanicalwatches
9. Flat-Panel Displaya pocket televisionreleased in 1982. TheFD-210′s display was apaltry five centimeters,but the technologyinvolved was impressiveand paved the way forthe home entertainment
10. RoboticsThe worlds first android, DER 01,was developed by a Japaneseresearch group,The Actroid is a humanoid robotwith strong visual human-likenessdeveloped by Osaka Universityand manufactured by KokoroCompany LtdASIMO - Advanced Step inInnovative MObilityhumanoid robot designed anddeveloped by Hondaallowing for increased jointflexibility and a smoother, morehuman-like walking motion