What is Chiropractic Therapy?
• Chiropractic is from Greek words meaning done
by hand. It is grounded in the principle that the
body can heal itself when the skeletal system is
correctly aligned and the nervous system is
• Chiropractic therapy focuses on the relationship
between the body's structure — mainly the spine
— and the body's function.
• Chiropractic therapy is used most often to treat
It's suggested for several health conditions
• back and neck pain
• back pain related to a woman's monthly
• headaches and migraines
• leg pain and sciatica
• sports injuries
• The body has a powerful ability to heal
• The body's structure (mainly the spine)
and its function are closely related, and
this relationship affects health.
• Chiropractic therapy is given with the goal
of normalizing the relationship between
structure and function and helping the
body as it heals.
• It's important to talk to your doctor if you're
thinking about trying chiropractic therapy.
• Anyone with bleeding problems or those on
anticoagulants (blood thinners) may have a
higher risk of stroke caused by manipulation of
• Women with weakened bones or osteoporosis
from breast cancer treatment may be at risk for
broken bones from chiropractic therapy.
• These are the unwanted, but mostly mild
and temporary effects of a successful
These can include discomfort or mild pain
at the point manipulation, stiffness or
tiredness for a day or so.