•Focus on a brand which I had never heard of...
•...in just one day to complete study design, fieldwork, and analysis!...
•...using only social media-driven research...
Taking a consumer-driven approach to brand research
1. A day of social media insightsCan a mixed mode approach to social media researchpower consumer insight? Michael Mayers Vice President, Business Development
2. About Conversition Conversition is a social media research data provider • Founded in 2009 by senior managers from IPSOS and NPD Group • Acquired in May 2011, part of the e-Rewards, Inc. group of companies • Social media research data provider focussed exclusively on the needs of the agency- and corporate market researcher • Advocates a mixed-mode “listening & asking” approach to social media research2
3. The research challenge Taking a consumer-driven approach to brand research • Focus on a brand which I had never heard of... • ...in just one day to complete study design, fieldwork, and analysis!... • ...using only social media-driven research...3
5. The brand of which I had never heard... “Just what is Chick-fil-A doing so very right, and is there room for improvement?”5
6. 9:00am 10:30am 11:15am 1:30pm 4:00pm 6:30pm The Chick-fil-A mission: To be America’s best Quick-Serve Restaurant Chick-fil-A annual sales ($Billions) 4.05 3.58 3.22 2.00 2006 2009 2010 20116 Source: Chick-fil-A website and filings
7. 9:00am 10:30am 11:15am 1:30pm 4:00pm 6:30pm Listen to unsolicited customer comments, codify findings Politeness of staff Broad service footprint Chick-fil-A has the best employee standing outside the drive thru employees. Its so nice to window to hand your food to you so you hear "my pleasure!”. dont have to lean out! Waiving food payment Associations with Christianity Went to chick-fil-a today LOVE that they offer church services drive thru, cashier said I for employees. #JesusSaves had waited to long. Gave me my order for free Pull up to the window at Chick fil A , cashier said car in front paid for your order. Paying it forward Source: Conversition “EvoListen” social media consumer verbatims from period 1 Jan – 31 Dec 2011.7
8. 9:00am 10:30am 11:15am 1:30pm 4:00pm 6:30pm Confirm and quantify themes with fast survey to inform subsequent study design Thinking about the Chick-fil-A chain of restaurants, what aspect of the customer experience do you most value? Friendliness of the staff 31 I dont know or have no opinion on Chick-fil-A restaurants 21 New menu options (for example, Banana Pudding Milkshake) 14 Staff friendliness is the most valued component of Promotions like free breakfast Thursday 13 the Chick-fil-A experience The brands strong association with Christianity 10 Service that extends beyond the restaurant (for example, car park attendants) 6 Other 5 Source: Conversition survey using Crowdvi.be fielded March 3, 2012 (n=100). Response time = 7 mins.8
9. 9:00am 10:30am 11:15am 1:30pm 4:00pm 6:30pm Drop data into analytical framework, analyze results Help out Greet [They] offer to help bring my tray to the table when I have They greet…and genuinely seem to my hands full with my children appreciate their customers Know the regulars Smile Friendliness the There is one lady Chick-fil-A way that…always remembers I appreciate the genuine smiles my children, and their sports They are very talkative and sweet…I enjoy a bit of conversation Talk Source: Conversition survey using SurveyTool fielded March 3, 2012 amongst respondents who most valued “Friendliness of the staff” (n=363).9
10. 9:00am 10:30am 11:15am 1:30pm 4:00pm 6:30pm Drop data into analytical framework, analyze results “Paying it forward” is a meaningful phenomenon and worthy of further investigation... 14% had experienced someone else “paying it forward” to them 22% had “paid it forward” to someone else ...are Chick-fil-A customers more charitable than other category users? Source: Conversition survey using SurveyTool fielded March 3, 2012 amongst respondents who had visited Chick-fil-A within the previous 3 months (n=1,020).10
11. 9:00am 10:30am 11:15am 1:30pm 4:00pm 6:30pm Drop data into analytical framework, analyze results So is Chick-fil-A doing EVERYTHING right?: Category attribute stated importance versus Chick-fil-A satisfaction Hi Cleanliness of Price restaurant Time spent in Importance (QSR category) line Friendliness of Location Range of menu employees items Availability of Wait times, location, and parking price perceptions are areas Opening hours of concern for the brand: Satisfaction is relatively low Table service for these important category attributes Lo Satisfaction (Chick-fil-A) Hi Source: Conversition survey using SurveyTool fielded March 3, 2012 amongst respondents who had visited11 Chick-fil-A within the previous 3 months (n=1,020).
12. 9:00am 10:30am 11:15am 1:30pm 4:00pm 6:30pm Drop data into analytical framework, analyze results Recent 2012 price increase has not been well received... When did Chick-Fil-A get so expensive? A 12 piece chicken nugget meal was Chick fil A has almost $8! I dont like Chick-Fil-A went up on there cause their small ass Just tries this whole Chick- portions of food dont prices!!! Smh!!!! fil-a "thing." While good, feel you up and the the hype left it Very PRICES TOO DAMN HIGH underwhelming. And DANG IT!!!!!! exuberantly overpriced.. Chick-fil-a prices went up!!!!! The Chick-Fil-A is world is ending. super slow, super overpriced expensive.. But theres garbage. nothing like chick fil a in the morning ...is pricing out of kilter with both their category and the economic reality faced by customers?12 Source: Conversition “EvoListen” social media consumer verbatims from period 1 Jan – 31 Jan 2012.
13. 9:00am 10:30am 11:15am 1:30pm 4:00pm 6:30pm Example summary and recommendations Chick-fil-A enjoys market-beating goodwill with React to demand on a case-by-case basis and a loyal customer base, but wait times are gain local depth / category share of becoming noteworthy… requirements with new restaurant openings Trial menu items that address customers who …and the prices are beginning to bite… want lower priced options …though “bonus” events such as free meals (If not done so already) issue guidance to create goodwill and fit into an emerging trend restaurants on trigger occasions for free food of “paying it forward”… orders …and the range of menu items, friendliness of Continue with menu development program, staff, and cleanliness of restaurants continue to reward service scores, and ensure restaurant be major satisfaction drivers. upgrades remain a priority13
14. Why use integrated social media research? This methodology exploits the strengths of passive social media listening with traditional survey techniques to quickly and cost-effectively deliver meaningful, substantiated, actionable consumer insights • Listen first: Take a consumer-driven approach to your research. Listen to what brand stakeholders have to say. • Flexible, relevant, real-time research: With no trade off in quality or actionability. • Cost effective: Exploit the cost advantages of social media-based research channels.14
15. Q&AFor more information email us at:email@example.com