1. Appsolutely Changing Early Childhood Educa5on Jeremy S. Brueck
2. hAp://brueckei.org/ @brueckj23
5. tradi5onal literacies
6. new literacies
7. young children
10. the cloud
12. quick stats (2010) • 107 trillion emails sent in 2010 from 1.88 billion email users • 255 million websites • 1.97 billion Internet users • 152 million blogs • 600 million Facebook users • 5 billion images on Flickr • 2 billion YouTube videos watched daily Stats as of January 12, 2011 via Royal Pingdom, hAp://royal.pingdom.com/2011/01/12/internet-‐2010-‐in-‐numbers/ Remixed with permission from Dr. Alec Couros, University of Regina, hAp://educa5onaltechnology.ca/couros/
15. …prolifera5on of informa5on on the web is not a problem, but an opportunity… Remixed with permission from ScoA Leslie, Open Educator as DJ
16. …[we re at the] edge of a sea of change in how we interact with informa5on, knowledge and learning… Remixed with permission from ScoA Leslie, Open Educator as DJ
17. technology, literacy, and the young child
18. Source: hAp://www.netc.org/earlyconnec5ons/byrequest.html If properly used, technology can serve as a catalyst for social interac5on & rich conversa5ons related to childrens work.
19. Source: hAp://www.netc.org/earlyconnec5ons/byrequest.html Technology is an eﬀec5ve method of promo5ng visual and tac5le learning.
20. Source: hAp://www.netc.org/earlyconnec5ons/byrequest.html Technology creates opportuni5es for engagement & collabora5on between children.
21. technology in the early childhood classroom
22. As with any learning tool, technology should be used alongside a variety of hAp://ﬂic.kr/p/qJCrZ learning experiences.
23. Adults should consistently model the use of technology in everyday life for children.
24. Interac5ve educa5onal games can provide immediate feedback and encouragement to children.
25. Apps can provide nonlinguis5c representa5on for learning using a combina5on of audio, video and interac5vity.
26. Technology • Computers • Digital Cameras • iPads & iPods Books Manipula0ves • Curricular tools • Other wriAen & objects that informa5on further explain a about concepts concept Learning is a layered process
28. web apps
29. mobile apps
31. @brueckj23 e-‐Book Spectrum Digital Audio Video Interac5ve Storybook Storybook Storybook Storybook eReaders Web Apps Mobile Apps (PDF) (Flash/Java) (iPad/Android)