2. What is turnitin? Setting up an account Creating a class Enrolling students Assigning assignments Using the software
3. Prevents plagiarism Allows for better reviewing and grading Tracks student progress
4. Turnitin helps to ensure originality in studentwriting by comparing papers with over 150 millionassignments and billions of web pages. It tells theprofessor the percentage of the student’sassignment that was found in these other papers andcan also show the original work where the liftedsection was found. The professor always has finalsay over the analysis of a paper.
5. In order to create a Turnitin account, you must first get an account number and password from an administrator. This will connect you to the Molloy account. Note: This is not the information you will use when you log into the system, it is only used to create a new account! Administrators: ◦ Mary Jane Reilly email@example.com ◦ Gerry Hawkins firstname.lastname@example.org ◦ Susan Bloom email@example.com
6. Click on Createan account
7. Choose “instructor”
8. Add the accountinformation theadministratorprovided hereCreate a newpassword here
9. Choose “add a class”
10. There are two class types, the standard class and the master class. Only choose master class if you will be subdividing the class with TAs. The class name and password can be anything the instructor chooses, try and create passwords your students will remember, they will need to input it in order to join the class on the programOnce a class expires, instructorscannot make changes within theclass unless it is reactivated!
11. Students may self-enroll or instructors may create accounts for them. It is advised that students self-enroll. Students must have the unique class name and case-sensitive password before they can join a class. Students will receive an enrollment email after they have completed the set-up process.
12. Click on the class name
13. Choose “New Assignment”
14. If you areunsurewhatsomethingmeans, hov Optionser over thequestionmark
15. Tells the user how manystudents are in the classand how many havecompleted the assignment Choose “view”
16. Assignment Student’s paper title OriginalName (click on the assignment submission name when you are file ready to begin grading)Student’s name Submission date Basic similarity profile
17. Choose one ofthese options
18. This feature allows professors to gradework and make comments digitally. Thesecomments can be made available forstudents to see or not at your discretion.
19. The system allows for easy writing workshops.Instructors may assign one student a paper fromanother student (may be anonymous) to review andcomment on. Professors can also post questions toanswer and choose whether or not students seeeach others comments.