1. THE SEDUCTION OF GALILEO GALILEI ALEKSANDRA MIR Zubair Bhuiyan Seminar 1: The Arts in NYC Prof. Corey D’Augustine
2. If angels and astronauts share the same sk isn’t it time they were introduced?” -Aleksandra Mir
3. Aleksandra Mir (b. 1967). From The Dream and the Promise, 2009. Collage on boardwith gold-leaf frame, 17 12 3/4 in. (43 32.5 cm). Collection of the artist; courtesyMary Boone Gallery, New York. © Aleksandra Mir
4. THE EXHIBITION-Combination of short film and paintings( from Aleksandra Mir’sThe Dream and the Promise collection).-Religious iconography meets space travel-Where and how do religion and science converge?-A “conversation” with Galileo Galilei to elucidate this ^
5. THE VIDEO BEFORE AFTERAleksandra Mir (b. 1967), still from The Seduction of Galileo Galilei, 2011. Video,color, sound; 16:33 min. Commissioned by Mercer Union, Toronto. Collection of theartist, Mary Boone Gallery, New York, and Galeria Joan
6. LESSONS IN GRAVITY-A demonstration of gravity becomes much more thana fun experiment- Is this art?-Art is fleeting vs. Art captures the moment-The work that all of these people put into act, only to repeat the act once more.
7. Aleksandra Mir (b. 1967). From The Dream and the Promise, 2009. Collage on boardwith gold-leaf frame, 17 12 3/4 in. (43 32.5 cm). Collection of the artist; courtesyMary Boone Gallery, New York. © Aleksandra Mir
8. THE MAN OF SCIENCE -Galileo -Social responsibility of the scientist -Determinism -Answers to the questions that spirituality can not answerPortrait of Galileo Galilei by Justus Sustermans painted in 1636. National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London.
9. THE MAN OF FAITH -Revelations and miracles are beyond science. -Religion is the science of life -“When we look at science and religion are we looking at the same thing at different stages of evolution?” -Mark Baker -Aleksandra Mir (b. 1967). From The Dream and the Promise, 2009. Collage on boardwith gold-leaf frame, 17 1/2 12 3/8 in. (44.5 31.5 cm). Collection of the artist;courtesy Mary Boone Gallery, New York. © Aleksandra Mir
10. SO WHAT?-Religion is a system of control; what about science?-Is science a religion? Is religion a science?-”When we have found all the meanings and lost allthe mysteries, we will be alone on an empty shore.” 1-Can science and technology appease theimagination that strives for so much?1 Arcadia by Tom Stoppard ; Scene six, page 109
11. CONCLUSION-The man of science vs. the man of faith => forever locked in struggle-Science and religion both strive to understand the world-Mir uses her own form of art to express these ideas in an almost minimalistic way. She uses a form of satire to diffuse the gravity of the debate.-Do you believe that this is worthwhile art? Yes.