1. Summer Accents 2010 “ Celebrating 10 years of Making Music, Building Dreams” 395 East Linnerud Dr. Sun Prairie, WI 53590 (608) 834-9550 E-mail: email@example.com Website: www.prairiemusic.org presents: Summer Accents 2010 “ Celebrating 10 years of Making Music, Building Dreams” 395 East Linnerud Dr. Sun Prairie, WI 53590 (608) 834-9550 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.prairiemusic.org presents:
2. Prairie Music Academy is a 501c3 organization. We admit students of any age, race, color, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, and economic status to all rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. We do not discriminate on the basis of any of the aforementioned categories in administration of its educational policies, scholarship programs, and other school-administered programs. CONTENTS: Private Lessons …….…….……………….…..…………...3 Camps …………...………………………...……...…….4 Workshops ………...…………………....….…….……..5 Musikgarten …….……………...……….….……………..6 GroupClasses ..…….…………….………………………..7 Package Pricing: Private Lessons, Workshops, and Camps…....8 Package Pricing: Musikgarten and Group Classes………...….9 Policies and Fall Scheduling……………..…..……………..10 Instructor Information ………………….…. …...………..11 Donations and Outreach………………………..… ………12 Student Registration Form…………………………. ….Insert Welcome! Prairie Music Academy is a non-profit community music school for students of all ages and abilities, and we hope that you’ll take part in our summer of musical fun and exploration. If you are expecting to have an eventful summer, we have flexible planning that will suit even the busiest schedules. If you are looking to strengthen your musical skills or simply to try something new, our school is right for you! Take a look at our programs, and we look forward to including you in our summer filled with Making Music and Building Dreams. - Kari Engleson, Executive Director
3. Private Lessons (packages 1-4) Please note: Material and book fees for private lessons are not included in the tuition price <ul><li>Lessons Include: </li></ul><ul><li>One-on-one instruction </li></ul><ul><li>Any combination of 30, 45, and 60-minute lessons </li></ul><ul><li>Instruction individualized according to each student’s needs </li></ul><ul><li>Many styles of each instrument taught </li></ul><ul><li>Lessons available in: </li></ul><ul><li>Piano —Beginning, intermediate, and advanced players </li></ul><ul><li>Voice —Classical repertoire, musical theater, and vocal jazz </li></ul><ul><li>Violin —Classical and fiddle styles </li></ul><ul><li>Cello— Beginning students only </li></ul><ul><li>Guitar —Acoustic and electric </li></ul><ul><li>Drums— Drum set and hand drumming </li></ul>Our Facility: We are located at 395 East Linnerud Drive, in the beautiful Cannery Square area of Downtown Sun Prairie. Our school opened in 1999 under the ownership of Kari Engleson, and we moved to our current facility in 2005. In 2007, we officially became a nonprofit community music school. Currently we have 9 private lesson rooms, 4 acoustic pianos, 5 electric pianos, and one large classroom used for recitals and group classes. Our main office is staffed by working teachers from approximately 9am to 3pm daily, and lessons run until 7:30 most nights of the week. If you plan to stop in, please call or e-mail during business hours to ensure that someone will be present to assist you.
4. Camps (Package 3, 4, or a la carte) ‘ Round the World in 88 Keys (ages 7-11) June 28-July1, 1-3pm Ever wonder what music sounds like in Turkey, Jamaica, or Australia? This is the camp for you! Learn about the music from foreign countries. We will look at instruments, historical facts, culture, and much more! Learn what students wear, what buildings are featured in their home towns, and sample dishes from several countries as we look at what students like you eat everyday. Learn a piece in the style of a foreign country to play for a world music recital at the end of the week! Come travel the seas as we go ‘round the world in 88 keys! Minimum 5 students. This camp is geared toward piano students. “ Granny” Awards Broadway Camp (ages 6-11) July 12-16, 5:30-7:30pm Sing, Dance, and Act your way through a “show choir-like” theater production based on fairy tale characters. Granny will be honoring all of our favorite fairy tale characters! Who will win Best Female Vocalist? Or the most coveted Best Villain Award? Cast includes Granny, Snow White, Jack, Cinderella, the Fairy Godmother, and more. Final performance on the last day of camp. No prior theater experience necessary. Minimum 5 students. Piano Camp (ages 13+) July 26-30, 5:30-7:30pm This is the ultimate piano camp for the serious pianist. Do you “play” well with others? How about a crash course in theory, history, and piano literature — all in one week!? Your talented PMA piano faculty will team-teach this exciting camp for students who enjoy performing solo and in ensembles. Prepare for an exciting display of flair by weeks end — we will prepare a recital that will showcase your fine talent! Minimum 6 students. Flower Child Show Choir (ages 14-18) August 9-13, 5:30-7:30pm Channel your inner flower child as we take you back to the 70s. Learn techniques used by local and professional show choirs, and watch examples of some of the best show choirs in the state. Students will present the final show on the last day of camp. Participants must provide a white t-shirt. Minimum 5 students. Music Discovery Camp (ages 5-12) August 16-20, 9-11am Keep the music alive this summer and try our camp geared for the younger musician. Students will strengthen musical skills through rhythm, ensemble, and musicianship activities based on the popular percussion group Stomp! Any student who enjoys music is encouraged to participate! The week will conclude with a student performance. NEW in 2010!! Evening Camps!
5. Workshops (package 2, 4, or a la carte) NOTE: Minimum 3 and Maximum of 5 students for each workshop. All workshops are Thursday evenings, unless noted otherwise, from 6-7:30pm Drumming Circle (all ages) Session 1: June 24 Session 2: SATURDAY, July 17, 9-10am Play hand drums and learn group drumming rhythms and techniques in this lively workshop geared toward all ages and levels. Includes African and Latin drumming styles. Bring hte whole family! Please specify session number on registration form. Language for Singers (age 14+) July 1 st Learn the basics of singing foreign languages, or improve your skills and gain confidence in your knowledge of the International Phonetic Alphabet and language diction. Each participant will learn an Italian aria using IPA and will learn how to apply IPA to other vocal pieces. Great for singers participating in Solo and Ensemble or NATS competitions. Guitar Jam (age 8+) July 8 th Jam with fellow guitar students as you enjoy the music of bans like Green Day, Nirvana, the Beatles, Guns ‘n Roses, and Iggy Pop. Learn a few riffs to impress your friends, and take home new songs to play for your family. On Stage Theater Improvisation (ages 7-11) July 22 nd Do you like to be silly and dramatic? Try our On Stage program where you’ll learn how to improvise scenes based on suggestions, tackle tough acting prompts, and be over-the-top crazy! Piano Olympics (ages 8-12) July 29 th Become a true Piano Athlete! Earn points towards gold, silver, and bronze medals in this lively piano competition. We all compete on Piano Team USA as we master five-finger figure skating, swim-team scales, curling with chords, and muc more! Music Theory Crash Course (ages 13+) August 5 th Cadences, chord progressions, and sight reading == oh my! Brush up on your theory skills to enhance your knowledge and improve your proficiency in lesson sand beyond. Silly Songwriting (ages 10-14) August 12 th Have you ever seen a llama with polka-dot pajamas? Learn how to write funny lines like this in our Silly Songwriting class. You’ll go home with an original song to sing to your family. Music in Pop Culture (ages 13+) August 19 th Discover how the piano, drums, and guitar have become mainstays in today’s popular music. Listen to music from performers like Billy Joel, Van Halen, Coldplay, and more! Learn pop “riffs,” ideas, and song-writing tips. Jazz 101 (ages 13+) June 28 th , MONDAY, 6-7:30pm “ Jazz 101” : a broad historical overview of jazz history including key musicians and styles. Audio (both CD and LP) as well as video samples will enhance the discussion. Ragtime to New Orleans Blues, Dixieland to Swing, Bebop to Free Jazz, Fusion, World Music, and beyond.
6. <ul><li>My Musical World (ages 0-1 ½) - Package 5 </li></ul><ul><li>Session I Every Tuesday morning starting June 15th, 9-9:30am </li></ul><ul><li>Session II Every Tuesday morning starting July 27th, 9-9:30am </li></ul><ul><li>Begin the journey of musical discovery with your baby and young toddler in this delightful music class. Activities include bouncing and rocking songs, wiggling and peek-a-boo games, and guided instrumental play. Awaken your child’s musical curiosity and help them develop listening skills and a sense of beat. Enjoy bonding with your child through music, knowing you are laying a foundation for creativity and delight in music for a lifetime! Parent/Caregiver participation is required. </li></ul><ul><li>Nature’s Music (ages 2-3 ½) - Package 6 </li></ul><ul><li>Session I Every Tuesday morning starting June 15th, 10-10:30am </li></ul><ul><li>Session II Every Tuesday morning starting July 27th, 10-10:30am </li></ul><ul><li>Session IA Every Tuesday evening starting June 15th, 6-6:30pm </li></ul><ul><li>Session IIA Every Tuesday evening starting July 27th, 6-6:30pm </li></ul><ul><li>Discover the natural world around you in this fun-filled musical adventure. Learn about creepy crawlers, busy buzzers, and pretty plants that surround us throughout the season. Enhance your child’s musical aptitude and listening abilities. Encourage singing, vocal development and purposeful movement. Activities include instrument play, dance, pattern play, and other musical games. We will also move a portion of our class outdoors (weather permitting) to experience nature first hand! Watch your child’s fascination with nature, and music, blossom and grow! Parent/Caregiver participation is required </li></ul><ul><li>Seashore (ages 4-5) - Package 7 </li></ul><ul><li>Every Wednesday evening from 6-6:45pm starting July 21st </li></ul><ul><li>Enjoy musical play this summer at the Seashore! Learn about shells, sea creatures, and sand through song, instrument play, and creative musical movements. We include folk songs, sea chantys, and boat songs to delight your budding musicians. This developmentally sound curriculum builds on a child’s aural foundation which leads to long-term success with reading music. Children will also learn self-discipline and social skills. Activities include instrument play, focused coordination in movement activities, pattern vocalization and play, and creative musical story-telling. Set your child on the path for a lifetime love of music! </li></ul>Musikgarten (package 5-7)
7. Vocal Duo Lessons (Package 8, ages 13+) Learn techniques for singing with a partner including listening, prompting, and releasing. Finish the summer with new techniques under your belt and new songs to sing. Students must have prior singing experience in a mixed-part setting such as chorus or musical theater. Each lesson is 45 minutes long with a partner. Students will have 4 lessons total. Please Specify your partner’s name on your registration form. Tuition does not include materials. Two-by-Two Lessons (Package 9, all ages) Want to learn a new instrument with your child, partner, or friend? Then join our two-by-two program – lessons for me and you! Watch and learn alongside your child, or trade lessons with a friend. Discover the joy of music with, and have first-hand experience and knowledge to assist your child at home. You will have the opportunity to observe your partner’s lessons as well. Learn from highly-trained faculty members who specialize in adult learning, child pedagogy, and performance. Each partner will have 2.5 hours of lessons throughout the summer with flexible scheduling. Please specify your partner’s name on the registration form. Tuition does not include materials. Note: Two-by-two Lessons are designed for adult/adult or child/adult partnerships only. Friends at the Piano (Package 10, ages 5-6) June 28-August 16, Mondays 4-4:45pm Get ready to learn the piano with your friends Carlos, Dallas, the twins, Katie, and Mrs. Razzle-Dazzle. A colorful cast of characters await you in the fun-filled group piano class. Learn proper piano technique, basic note-reading skills, and a variety of fun songs to show your friends and family. Materials include a lesson book, activity book, and a CD featuring many of the songs you will learn in this class. Group learning is a great way to start your music education! Fiddle Class (Package 11, MS/HS) July 5, July 19, Aug 2: 6-7:30pm Prairie Music Academy's summer Fiddle Workshop is the perfect introduction to playing folk, bluegrass, and country styles on the violin. Taught by Chris Wagoner- author of the Hal Leonard Fiddle Method, tuition for the workshop will include his newly publishedmethod book. Lessons will cover: instrument selection & care, general technique pointers, slides, slurs and fiddle bowing techniques, music theory, drones and double-stops, cross-tuning, and other essential topics. Several classic traditional fiddle tunes will be learned. Intermediate players only, please! Group Classes (package 8-10)
8. Package Pricing: Private Lessons, Workshops, and Camps <ul><li>THIS PRICING SHEET IS FOR NEW STUDENTS ONLY! FOR THOSE STUDENTS CURRENTLY ENROLLED AT PMA, PLEASE CONTACT THE OFFICE TO FIND OUT IF YOU HAVE PREPAID FOR SUMMER </li></ul><ul><li>Package 1: Private Lessons Only </li></ul><ul><li>5 hrs. of private instruction - any combination of 30, 45, or 60 min. lessons </li></ul><ul><li>Piano, Voice, Guitar, Strings, Mandolin, Fiddle Styles, and Percussion </li></ul><ul><li>$250 </li></ul><ul><li>Package 2: Private Lessons + Workshop </li></ul><ul><li>3 hrs. of private instruction - any combination of 30, 45, or 60 min. lessons </li></ul><ul><li>Three Workshops (1.5 hours each) </li></ul><ul><li>$250 </li></ul><ul><li>Package 3: Private Lessons + Camp </li></ul><ul><li>1.5 hrs. of private instruction - any combination of 30, 45, or 60 min. lessons </li></ul><ul><li>1 Camp (10 hours) </li></ul><ul><li>$250 </li></ul><ul><li>Package 4: Private Lessons + Workshop + Camp </li></ul><ul><ul><li>1 hr. of private instruction </li></ul></ul><ul><li>1 Workshop (1.5 hours) </li></ul><ul><li>1 Camp (10 hours) </li></ul><ul><li>$250 </li></ul>STUDENTS WHO REGISTER FOR PACKAGES 1-4 WILL RECEIVE PRIORITY FOR FALL SCHEDULING! <ul><li>3 “a la carte” Workshops </li></ul><ul><li>$ 75 for 3 workshops </li></ul><ul><ul><li>4.5 hours total </li></ul></ul><ul><li>1 “a la carte” Day Camp </li></ul><ul><ul><li>$190 Day Camp </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>10 hours total </li></ul></ul>
9. Package Pricing: Musikgarten and Group Classes Package 5: Musikgarten— My Musical World 5-week session – Ages birth to 1 1/2 30-minute class per week $45 per child. No materials required. Package 6: Musikgarten—Nature’s Music 5-week session – Ages 2 to 3 1/2 30-minute class per week $45 per child. No materials required. Package 7: Musikgarten—Seashore 6-week session – Ages 4 to 5 45-minute class per week $81 per child. No materials required. Package 8: Vocal Duo Lessons 3 hours of lessons together – must specify partner on registration form 30 or 45 minute lessons only $100 for each participant, not including materials Package 9: Two-by-Two Lessons 2.5 hours of lessons each – Must specify partner on registration form Every-other week, any instrument $125 for each participant, not including materials Package 10: Friends at the Piano 8-week program – Ages 5-6 $160 - includes materials and tuition Package 11: Fiddle Group 3 sessions Intermediate players only Taught from instructor’s published method book! $ 90 includes materials and tuition
10. Summer Policies and Fall Scheduling <ul><li>Students who registered for year-round lessons will get summer scheduling priority, beginning March 15th. </li></ul><ul><li>In order to guarantee flexible scheduling and placement in your choice of camp or workshop, REGISTRATIONS DUE APRIL 15TH! </li></ul><ul><li>Camps and Workshops that do not have the minimum number of students enrolled will be cancelled. </li></ul><ul><li>Food and drink are not allowed in PMA unless consent is given by the office staff </li></ul><ul><li>Students/parents/siblings who are disruptive to other classes or lessons may be asked to leave without refund. </li></ul><ul><li>Please do not leave children under 10 unattended! </li></ul><ul><li>Shoes are to be worn at all times unless otherwise instructed. </li></ul><ul><li>Make-up lessons are not guaranteed for missed private lessons during the summer if the missed lessons are the fault of the student or due to inclement weather. This also includes camps, workshops, group and Musikgarten classes. </li></ul><ul><li>Students enrolled year-round at Prairie Music Academy who have pre-paid for summer do not pay additional administration or tuition fees for summer. Students enrolled for school-year only plans do not have to pay the administration fee, but are required to pay the full tuition price. New students must pay the administration and tuition fees. </li></ul><ul><li>Refunds and credits will not be given for lesson/class withdrawals or for missed lessons. </li></ul><ul><li>Materials are not included in the tuition price for private lessons. </li></ul><ul><li>FALL SCHEDULING INFORMATION: </li></ul><ul><li>Students who enroll for Packages 1-4 will receive priority for fall scheduling. Priority students must schedule for fall by July 1st to guarantee priority. </li></ul><ul><li>Fall payments must be received by July 15th to guarantee priority. </li></ul><ul><li>New student summer administrative fees are prorated and are not applied to fall registration. </li></ul>
11. Instructors Executive Director – Kari Engleson [email_address] Program Director – Gina Jorgenson [email_address] Early Childhood Music Director – Julie Baskinger [email_address] Piano and Early Childhood Julie Baskinger (Piano/Early Childhood) Kari Engleson (Piano/Early Childhood) Matthew Lichtenwald (Piano) Jennifer Rae (Early Childhood/Music Therapy) Jess Salek (Piano) Guitar & Strings Katie Cummings (Strings) Mary Gaines (Acoustic and Electric Guitar/Electric Bass/Beginning Jazz Cello) Mark Harrod (Acoustic and Electric Guitar) Blake Thomas (Acoustic and Electric Guitar) Chris Wagoner (Strings/Fiddle Style/Mandolin) Voice/Theater Rose Heckenkamp (Classical Voice/Musical Theater/Vocal Jazz) Gina Jorgenson (Classical Voice/Musical Theater/Vocal Jazz) Sarah Meddaugh (Art/Theater) Percussion Todd Truesdale (Percussion/Drumming Groups) Full teacher bios can be found on our website — www.prairiemusic.org/faculty
12. Donations and Outreach Through grants and private donations, Prairie Music Academy has been able to bring music to the communities of Sun Prairie and Madison through various outreach programs, making us truly a community music school! These programs have included: <ul><li>“ Harmony for Kids” – American Family Children’s Hospital </li></ul><ul><li>Concerts, Workshops, Early Childhood Music Classes </li></ul><ul><li>Grant through Dane County Cultural Arts Commission </li></ul><ul><li>Sunny Day Preschool & Daycare – Sun Prairie </li></ul><ul><li>On-site teacher-training/education, early childhood music classes </li></ul><ul><li>Music for Learning Grant from Foundation for Music-Based Learning </li></ul><ul><li>Deerfield and Rock Lake (Lake Mills) Community Centers </li></ul><ul><li>On-site Musikgarten education </li></ul><ul><li>Cost reduced for participating families through private donations </li></ul><ul><li>High School Vocal Master class - Sun Prairie </li></ul><ul><li>Master class with world-renowned baritone Kyle Ketelsen </li></ul><ul><li>Grant through Sun Prairie Education Foundation </li></ul><ul><li>Hardship Scholarship Fund </li></ul><ul><li>Families affected by the economic recession can receive lessons </li></ul><ul><li>Funded through private donations </li></ul><ul><li>Prairie Jazz Club </li></ul><ul><li>Monthly jazz clinics for Dane County Middle/High School Musicians </li></ul><ul><li>Funded through Madison Jazz Society </li></ul>To make a donation on our secure website via paypal, visit: www.prairiemusic.org