Construction equipment• To capture the footage needed for the clips needed for the trailer I used the video setting on a Sony Xperia mobile phone as it had an 8mega-pixel camera which was superior to that of the traditional Flip camera.• Once the footage was completed I would use Windows live film maker to edit the footage.
The Footage• Whilst filming we decided to take numerous amounts of similar shots, this way we could eliminate any shots with errors and choose those with the best finish. For example, several shots had to be deleted as they included the shadow of the person holding the camera. To collaborate and organise these videos I decided to organise them into folders and sub-folders.
converting the videos• The next step I needed to take was importing the videos to windows live movie maker, however as I had filmed on a mobile phone, the videos were in the wrong format. Therefore I had to download software to convert these films from Mp4 format into Mvw. This software was called MDX.film and was a free download, however this was a very time consuming process that I had not accounted for before filming.
Importing the videos• Finally after converting the videos into an appropriate type I file I was able to simply import them into movie maker and this was a very simple process of opening the folder and dragging the file into the programme.• Once they were imported it was simply a case of arranging them in the correct order before they could be edited. Again this was a very simple process as the program has a storyboard like design were you just drag and drop files into the appropriate areas.
Editing Audio• Whilst we were recording visual footage on the mobile phone we were also recording sound at the same time, however this diegetic sound was not needed. To do this I isolated the audio and deleted it from the ‘audio timeline’ this meant the footage was free of sound and I was able to add my own non- diegetic atmospheric sound. To source the sound I used a free sound effects website where I could download sound and imported as an mp3. I then dragged and dropped these files onto the time line at the desired moment. I was also able to add layers of sound, where 2 or more audio files combine.
Film cuts/transitions• The next step I took in the construction phase was adding transitions between cuts to allow them to flow more fluently. To do this I simply selected the transition from a effects list on the programme and dragged to the scene I wanted I to apply too. In the case of my trailer I frequently used the ‘fade to black’ & the ‘fade from black’ at the start and end of each cut as it was most appropriate for the theme of the film.
Adding Title screens• To add the title screens for the production brand names and the film title, I first created the text in Microsoft publisher and then imported the text as images, and changed the shot background colour to fit the image which in this case was black. Once this was complete it was a case of dragging and dropping the images into the timeline.
Importing the AppropriateAudiences – “Green screen”• Following the forms and conventions of nearly all film trailers – this green screen of “appropriate audiences” is at the beginning of nearly all trailers. To add this to the timeline I saved the shot as an image and again dragged it into the appropriate place at the beginning of the film and selected how long it needed to play for which was in the region of 3-4 seconds.
Uploading to YouTube• I decided the easiest format for my trailer to be viewed was to upload it to the Video sharing site YouTube as they have millions of views a day and most official trailers are released through this format. As well as this it is an easy way of getting 3rd party feedback, as comments and ‘likes’ can be analysed.