• “Critical Design uses speculative design proposals to challenge
narrow assumptions, preconceptions and givens about the role
products play in everyday life.”
• “Its opposite is affirmative design: design that reinforces the
• Designers as Critics
Dunne and Raby,Technological Dream Series No. 1, Robots
-Robot 3, 2007
• To think about the future
• To critique current practice
Audio Tooth implant
James Chambers, 2010, sneezing to protect dust
James Chambers, 2010, stand up if it detects liquid
as cultural litmus paper
Speculative design provides perceptual bridge between
perception and fiction
沈思設計提供感知橋接 ( 連結感知與虛構 )
light painting Wifi
Technological imagination & Discursive design by Timo Arnall
ghost in the filed
Technological imagination & Discursive Design by Timo Arnall
Discursive design bridges between technical and the
cultural domains...focuses on the “reflexive and iterative
interplay between materials, experimentation, and use”
Arnall et al.
論述設計 : 技術與文化，反身性與重複性的交互影響
Video prototype for discursive design
functional prototype for future social experience
critical and then discursive
“...cultivating and shaping the technological imagination is a
cultural imperative of the highest order” Balsamo, 2011.
Design Fictions: a speculative turn
設計小說 : 一個沈思的轉向
Design Fictions: to discuss a specific format of everyday
scenarios about the future, where technology plays a crucial
設計小說 : 科技扮演關鍵性的角色
Design fiction: Ekkomaten
imaginative space with a narrative space of 18th century
pre-radar listening devices for aeroplane location (War War
it built around physical artefacts that evoke an imagined
alternate past, present and future
punk & fictions
• Steampunk: imagination of a past technology
• Cyberpunk: imagination of a current and future technology
• Science fictions: imaginative technology
• Design fictions: technological imagination
What is DESIGN?
design beyond usability
• reflective design: a means of better understanding ourselves
• critical design: a means of questioning
• design fictions: immerse an audience in a world not existing
• design as cultural research: survey the bounds of the
What is your belief of DESIGN?
What is you culture? Critical theory is the reflective
practice of the Western. How about the Oriental?
你的文化為何 ? 批判理論是西方的反思實踐。東方的反
Tao, mindfulness, Zen, wabisabi...
“It’s a sky-blue sky.
Satellites are out tonight.
Let X = X.”
Laurie Anderson, 1982
讓 X 等於 X 吧
Science Poem 宣言 by OK-DO
“The most sublime labor of poetry is to give sense and
passion to insensate things”
Poetic future design is to give sense and passion to
insensate future, through imaginative technology and