Dr. Juhal offers a variety of general and cosmetic dentistry including fillings, veneers, teeth whitening, and much more! Visit Jauhal Dental 3476 Glen Erin Dr Mississauga, ON L5L 3R4 or call (905)
Dr. Juhal offers a variety of general and cosmetic dentistry including fillings, veneers, teeth whitening, and much more! Visit Jauhal Dental 3476 Glen Erin Dr Mississauga, ON L5L 3R4 or call (905) 820-4440.
2. IntroductionEven though most people are taught about the evils oftooth decay from a young age, many don’t perform thedaily rituals that help to keep it away.It’s easy to get lazy with your oral hygiene, especially if youlead a busy lifestyle like so many people do. The key is tomake it a non-negotiable part of your everyday routine soyou can prevent tooth decay and all of its unpleasant sideeffects.
3. What Is Tooth Decay?Basically, tooth decay refers to acids that end up on thesurface of your teeth. When you eat foods with sugars andstarches, they are left on your teeth and bacteria in yourmouth turn them into acids.This bacteria, along withyour own saliva, acid andfood debris worktogether to form plaque,which sticks to your teethand works to dissolve theenamel, causing cavities.
4. Tooth Brushing RoutineThe most common way to prevent tooth decay is to get into aregular tooth brushing routine and stick to it. Brush yourteeth at least two times a a day with a fluoride toothpaste.Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and and gentle pressure toremove any plaque and debris from your teeth. Manypeople like to use strong pressure, thinking it will get teethcleaner, but you run the risk of receding your gumline andcausing new problems.
5. Floss RegularlyBrushing is essential, but it doesn’t get the bits of food fromin between your teeth. It’s important that you floss at leastonce a day before bed, or more if you’ve eaten foods thathave the tendency to stick in there.Wrap a length of floss around each index finger and thenguide it between the teeth. Scrape it up along the inside ofeach tooth to remove any debris, then move on to the nexttwo teeth and repeat.
6. Rinse Your MouthIn some cases, your dentist may recommend using a mouthwash or rinse that contains fluoride. This recommendation isusually made if there is an increased risk of developingcavities for some reason.If your dentist does suggest a rinse, follow his or herinstructions for home use.
7. Pay Attention to NutritionNutrition is an important aspect if you want to avoid toothdecay. Luckily, it is completely under your control. Sometooth-friendly foods to add to your diet include:• Fresh fruits and vegetables• Hard cheeses• Sugar-free gumTry to avoid foods like candies, sweetened beverages, chips,cookies and breads.
8. Drink the WaterEven though drinking tap water has gotten a bad rap over thepast few years, drinking some throughout the day you willbenefit from the fluoride that’s been added for the verypurpose of prevent tooth decay.Estimates on the ideal amount vary, so ask your dentist for arecommendation because he knows your teeth better thananyone.
9. Keep Your Dental AppointmentsEven though it isn’t a ‘home tip’, keeping your dentalappointments is an important weapon in the tooth decaybattle.By keeping up with appointments, you’ll get regularprofessional cleanings and exams so tooth decay can’t takehold and you can avoid cavities.