View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
• Barcelona, Catalonia late 19th c. And early 20th c.
• Architectural style, which also involves other arts (painting
and sculpture), and especially the design and decorative arts
• Part of a general trend that emerges in Europe (known in
each country as modernism, art nouveau, etc.)
• Modernisme is basically derived from the English Arts and
Crafts movement and the Gothic revival
Predominance of the
curve and the dynamic
shapes over the
Use of “industrial” materials, like iron forgery, ceramics and
• In the context of a spectacular urban and industrial
• It is a style for the Catalan industrial bourgeoisie, whoIt is a style for the Catalan industrial bourgeoisie, who
built industrial buildings and summer residencesbuilt industrial buildings and summer residences
(families like the(families like the GüellGüell,, BatllóBatlló oror MiláMilá)
• His big passions in life: architecture, nature, religion.
an organic style inspired by nature
He rarely drew detailed plans of his works, instead
preferring to create them as three-dimensional scale
models and molding the details as he was conceiving
Gaudí's first work was a
set of lampposts for
the Plaça Reial in
Antoni GaudíAntoni Gaudí
• First years under the influence of neo-Gothic art and
His relationship with Eusebi Güell
• Güell was a wealthy industrialist and
• He was so impressed with his first
works that he wanted to meet Gaudí
• They became friends and Güell
became Gaudí's main patron and
• He perfected his personal style, inspired by the
organic shapes of nature.
• New structural solutions
• Shapes and volumes devoid of rational rigidity or any
HE DESCRIBES HIS VIEW OF THE FACADE OF THE PASSION OF GAUDÍ AS FOLLOWS:
SOMEONE WILL FIND THE DOOR TOO EXTRAVAGANT, BUT I LIKE TO SEE YOUR FEAR, AND TO GET
SPARE NO CHIAROSCURO, EVERYTHING SHOULD BE AS BLEAK . ALSO, I'M WILLING TO SACRIFICE
THE SAME BUILDING, THE IDEA OF A BLOOD SACRIFICE .
THE FRONT DOOR OF THE GLORY SUBIRACHS
WORKS. THE PRAYER OF THE “PARE NOSTRE"
CENTRAL DOOR LEFT