FEMALE FETICIDE-A CURSE TO THE
SAVE GIRL CHILD SAVE YOURSELF
What is female feticide?
abortion/elimination of the girl child in the
womb itself, done deliberately by the
mother, after the detection of the child’s
gender through medical means.
he status of females in India aptly
symbolizes India’s status of developing
nation – miles away from becoming a
• Of course, India deserves to be in this list
because here, in this 21st century, the girl
child continues to be murdered before she
emale feticide is still prevalent in the
Indian society, in fact, it has been a
• Sadly, there have been numerous
incidents of the foetus being found lying
in farms, floating in rivers, wrapped in
jute bags etc.
• India’s major social problem is the
intentional killing of the girl child. T
struggle for the girl child starts the day
her existence is known in her mother’s
• T fear and struggle to survive swallow
most of the girl’s life even if she is
“allowed” to live in this cruel world.
• In India a girl child is considered burden
as huge amount of money, gold and other
items need to be given in the dowry
when she gets married.
According to the statistics,
nearly 10 million female fetuses have
been aborted in the country over the past
• Of the 12 million girls born in India, 1
million do not see their first birthdays.
• the fact is that the sinful crime of female
feticide is not only common in rural areas
where social discrimination against
women, lack of proper education etc. can
be considered as reasons behind carrying
out such acts,
• B also the ultra modern, so – called
“educated” people living in urban areas
and metropolitan cities who are a step
ahead in killing the girl child in womb.
• T ages old traditions , customs, beliefs
of Indian society are largely responsible
for creating a negative mindset among
• T truth behind this crime has been
brought into light several times by the
print and electronic media.
• B it has failed to melt the hearts and
minds of those who remain unaffected
by the consequences of the grave
sin they are committing.
Strategies to Curb Female Feticide
• Cancellation/permanent termination of the doctor’s
license who partakes in fulfilling a client’s demand to do
away with her girl child.
• Heavy penalty imposed on companies like GE, that
specialize in marketing medical equipments used for
illegal sex determination and abortion in unlicensed
clinics and hospitals.
• High fines and judicial action against ‘parents’ who
knowingly try to kill their unborn baby.
• Widespread campaigns and seminars for young
adults and potential parents to enlighten them about the
ill effects of female feticide.
Ignorance is one of the major causes for the
increase in the selective sex abortion cases.
Spreading awareness can go a long way in
saving our future sisters, mothers, girlfriends and wives.
Intensive Information, Education and
Communication (IEC) campaigns for raising
• A cohesive and concerted effort by everyone can prove
to be the requisite baby step in the right direction.
• We may not support the notion of women rising above
men, or them becoming the dominant sex, or conquering
• However, the basic humane consideration to let an
innocent child live and see the world she was conceived
to grow in is not too much to ask.
Let’s not be
murderers of our
own fLesh and
• India has yet a long way to go in her
fight against pre-birth elimination of
females. Time is quickly ticking
away. A shortage of girls would lead
to a shortage of eligible brides thus
making the girl a "scarce
• According to UNFPA projection, by the year
2025 a significant share of men above 30
would still be single, and that many will
never be able to marry at all.
• Men in the states of Haryana and Punjab are
already experiencing a nearly 20% deficit of
• A concerted effort by the medical fraternity,
the law, political leaders, NGOs, media,
teachers and the community itself is the
need of the hour.